Fixing handles on door hung the wrong side

Squirt some Gripfil in the holes then either wait for it to go off and drill it, or put the screws in straight away?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "three sheds" Toadfoot

Or a cavity wall fixing, something that can work on thin panels, something like this

, regular rawlplugs or similar wont do.

Reply to
fred

A couple of years ago I had a decorator in to do the hall/stairs/landing, and as part of the job I asked them to fit a couple of new hollow internal doors. I've now discovered, because the handles are coming loose, that they hung the doors (both, for goodness sake!!) on the wrong side, so there is no solid wood behind the handles. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this without having to re-hang the doors - the screws won't tighten up now? I thought of using some long brass bolts to go from one side to the other, but can't find any suitable ones (3.5mm x 70mm).

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

Nothing will do really, except to drill out a setion of the side as though for a large lock. Clean out an inch or so above and below the handles right out to the hardboard. Then glue a piece of wood in there and replace the catch. Bit of a downer but a pleasant job well done I assure you. You will not be happy with much else.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I'd aggree with that. The original fitter must have been stupid because doors are marked at the top and/or bottom as to which side has the lock mounting

Reply to
BillV

Uh, can I assume if a door doesn't have these markings either way is okay ?

Reply to
G&M

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:22:08 +0100, "BillV" strung together this:

Close, a decorator apparently!

Reply to
Lurch

Yes that sounds the best plan - basically making it like the "correct" side. It just makes you think that it wouldn't be a bad idea for the doors to be made with some solid wood on both sides as normal. It makes me wonder how the idiot who fitted it wrong actually managed to do the rest of the fitting correctly. (Maybe he wasn't used to my "cheapo" doors!!)

Many thanks.

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman