Front door lock complete with handles - what's it called?

The existing night latch on our front door is a nuisance because it's not possible to set it so that it can be left 'unlocked' with easy access to go in and out without a key.

The door has (relatively) secure keyed deadlocks for when we really want to lock up.

So I'm looking for a 'front door lock' which has handles on both inside and outside to replace the night latch. My M-I-L's house has one so I know such things exist but I can't find anything that looks like what want at Screwfix or Toolstation. What should I be searching for, maybe I have the name wrong?

Reply to
Chris Green

Not an exact replacement for the night latch 'yale' type lock, but do you mean rim latch?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, not really, I did find them when I looked at ScrewStation. They look like what to me is a 'back door' lock.

What my M-I-L's house has is a complete integrated lock and handles with handles both inside and outside. It 'looks right' on a front door too.

Reply to
Chris Green

like these?

Robin

This is *something* like what I'm after:

Though I'd prefer something a bit more 'front door' like, probably with shorter stubbier handles.

Reply to
Chris Green

It it for a uPVC door, or a traditional door?

I you search for lever/pad door handles you should get some (or offset/pad if you want to force use of a key instead of handle to open from outside)

Reply to
Andy Burns

aka "split spindle"

Reply to
Andy Burns

They certainly used (c. a century ago) to use latches without the separate lock, so that would be neater, and I am sure still available. But why not just used a mortised door latch as used on internal doors nowadays?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's for a wooden door to replace the existing night latch. I explicitly *don't* want to force the use of a key, that's the whole point of changing. I want it to be possible to open the front door easily from the outside when it's not locked so we can use it to go in and out during the day (what a concept, going in and out through a door!).

Reply to
Chris Green

Sort of, though I'd prefer a small lever to a knob and don't really need/want the ability to lock with the 'tab' inside.

Reply to
Chris Green

As a matter of habit, I check on the way out whether I have my keys in my pocket, if not and if I'm not going far) I put the "snick" on the lock ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We could probably do that but the handle and outside hardware need to be weatherproof.

I just fancy something like a night latch type handle both inside and outside with the ability to lock it with a 'yale type' key if necessary.

At present to allow us to go in and out there are three options:-

Leave the door open, fine during the summer but it's getting cold again now.

Set the night latch 'snib' to prevent it latching, OK except that the dog pushes it open and doesn't close it behind her! :-)

Leave a key in the door, OK'ish but it's not particurly handy for rushing in and out and the M-I-L's fingers probably can't manage the key now.

Reply to
Chris Green

See my comment elsewhere in the thread, the dog will push the door open and she *doesn't* close it after her! Not to mention that the wind may also blow it open.

Reply to
Chris Green

Nearly there, this would do:-

Chris Green

There is a mortice and a cylinder lock on this page. The door handles are no doubt elsewhere.

Reply to
Michael Chare

DJC

"Suitable for interior doors"

That said, my front door had one of those fitted when I moved in (along with a yale night latch) I don't think it would survive long in a wrenching/snapping attack.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you saying you don't want a lock at all but a latch like on interior doors?

Reply to
invalid

Its not that difficult to find a mortice lock with latch.

invalid

Remember it may invalidate your insurance when some one enters and steals the car keys.

Reply to
invalid