front door lock

Hi my front door has a lock which when you lift the handle up 2 hooks come out, one at the top the other at the bottom, plus in the middle the usual latch. When I opened the door just now something went crack and now the handle is stuck down and the latch is only sticking out a little bit. Will this be easily fixed by myself or will I need to get a locksmith in? Here is a website with the same type of lock picture D parts 1 and 3

is too cold and dark to have a look at it tonight and I don't want to attract attention to the fact my front door will not lock. And I can use my side door to get in and out.

Luckily where I stay it is fairly quiet and I have put a chair in front of it as per all the films and will have a good look at the lock in the morning.

Thanks Jen

Reply to
Janice

Your type of lock is called a "multipoint lock" - lots of suppliers if you google. Bear in mind that there are very large number of models and options, and it has to be right.

You might be lucky and it's some simple replaceable part that's broken, like the spindle in the handle. Is it a pvc door, and has it maybe been getting stiff to operate?

If your door also has bolts top and bottom in addition to the hooks and centre latch, these are a bit more difficult to fit as the there's a bit of sawing bits to size as well - but a latch and hooks one is straightforward.

However given the hassle of getting exactly the right model, and that it's urgent, a locksmith may be your best option.

Reply to
dom

It sounds as though the latch spring has broken (very common).

You can probably fix it yourself.

Remove the screws on the handle plate and a grub screw on the handle. Pull off the handle and plate and withdraw the spindle. Remove the lock barrel by undoing a screw accessed through a hole in the plate on the side of the door.

Remove the screws from the lock-set on the side of the door and pull it out. You will probably be able to take off a plate on one side of the set (more screws). This will reveal the spring, which can be removed to unjam the latch.

If you put the whole thing back together - without the spring - you should be able to move the handle to operate the latch, the mortice lock, and the hook bolts. You will now have a working door that can be locked.

You might get lucky and be able to buy a replacement spring or not so lucky and replace the whole mechanism.

HTH.

Reply to
Ziggur