Front door lock complete with handles - what's it called?

Careful! - I encountered one Yale that would drop the latch after several uses due to being worn out. Luckily there was someone inside to open the door.

Reply to
PeterC

OH the troubles I had with this when getting a new upvc front door. Sorry we only do the secure type, not the handled type, In the end I had to get the company to cutout the old lock, well the new lock and put in the one I wanted leaving gaping holes in the edge of the door and refitting a different plate to the side. Several companies told me it was against the rules to have a porch door as I wanted it. It reminded me of that old juke. Sorry sir we get no call for those but you are the third person this morning wanting it, but due to lack of demand we don't do it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The typical problem I found was that the mechanical bits that moved the multi lock hardware around the door did not line up with the back door version. In the end we did find one that was the same but it seems to be such a minefield for the uninitiated. The old If I were going there , aid's not start from here problem. They like to make as much in situ as possible which is fine till you want to change the spec. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, OK, but there don't seem to be any front door type handles to go with this sort of lock. All I can see look like the door handles I have on internal doors and they just look odd and rather flimsy for a front door.

Reply to
Chris Green

"Suitable for interior door", i.e. the finish won't survive long on the outside of the front door.

Yes, I think we'd found that somewhere else in the thread too. It's OK but I'd prefer short handles instead of the knobs and there's no need for the tab locking device inside.

Reply to
Chris Green

Not really. The front door on my M-I-L's house has a single integrated front door lock and handle. It has a Yale type key to lock it and stubby handles both inside and outside. You can't lock it or unlock it without the key, if it's unlocked it stays that way and you can go in and out using the handles, if it's locked with the key then it's locked from the outside, I can't remember if it's still possible to open it from the inside when 'locked'.

Reply to
Chris Green

Not a serious issue where we live, first problem would be for the thief to *find* the car keys, they aren't kept near the front door.

Reply to
Chris Green

So there *are* such things and people actually want them! I'm not in a minority of one. :-)

What rules one wonders?

We regularly get that at the local Tesco: why have you run out of 'xxxx' again? Answer: because of the high demand. Don't they notice that they have sold out, frequently?

Reply to
Chris Green

You need to find an "Architectural Ironmonger". They will have a good selection of indoor & outdoor handles.

Reply to
charles

Bearing in mind the number of suggestions that aren't what you're looking for, you probably won't want this either. I don't see the handle length, which is clearly important to you, but I'll put it up anyway

Chris Hogg

It's in the right ball-park but it's rather flimsier than what I remember/have in mind. I probably need to re-visit my M-I-L's house and take a picture of the lock there and/or find out what make it is. Then I can at least say "I want one like this".

Reply to
Chris Green

You could just persuade your MIL that she needs something more secure, or that it's showing signs of wear or becoming faulty, and...er... change it... ;-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'd be surprised if you could find such a thing that was a direct replacement for a night latch. However, fitting such a device where the night latch was should be possible - although you may need to fill the odd hole.

But a night latch is usually situated higher in the door, for easy use. Handles might look odd in the same place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

invalid

I've searched through there several times, nothing looks like an 'outdoor' handle to me.

Reply to
Chris Green

... and here are some pictures, taken by my brother-in-law:-

Sorry, you have to rotate them to the right.

"I want one like this" :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

So it's one of these

or similar, plus a lever pad handle set like one of these
a standard euro lock cylinder of the appropriate make and length.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Fairly standard lock usually fitted to double glazed back doors, often associated with a locking mechanism that extends the whole length of the door. Back doors are often fitted with a different lock to front doors so that you don't accidentally lock yourself out.

The handles types are usually an option when specifying/ordering a new door.

You possibly need to order the lock and handles separately.

The lock cyclinder is a Eurolock which can take a key both sides or alternatively a key one side and a thumb knob on the other side.

There are various options for the distance between the key and the handle spindle.

Try googling for "double glazing door parts".

Example

You can also get something like this (just one quick example)

BUT you then need to match dimensions for handle face-plates and check the thickness of the Euolock whch you buy separately

Reply to
alan_m

... and 'back doors' are usually ones that when unlocked you can go in and out using the handle which is what I've been after. So maybe I should be looking for a 'back door' lock.

Yes, seems reasonable.

Yes.

How does that affect things? Apart from making the holes for the bolts in the right places is there any other significance in this?

That looks like what I want now I understand better. If I understand the above lock correctly:-

Both handles (indoor and outdoor) simply operate the latch.

The latch can be configured for opening either way.

The eurolock cylinder (bought separately) will lock the door using the deadbolt which is quite independent of the latch.

The handles need to be bought separately, how easy is it to get ones that are not a pair?

Yes, OK.

Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone, I seem to have found what I want at last! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Having never attempted to buy just handles I don't know but having a lever style handle one side and a pad the other side is faily common so a pair may be one of each.

Reply to
alan_m