Fitting side hung wood garage doors - width problem.

Hi, I have a brick opening of 2270 wide and two side hinged wood garage doors 1070 wide (total width 2140, no rebate) to fit. The height is not a problem. If I use treated 3 x 4 for the frame this adds 152 to the width which is now 2140 + 152 = 2292. So I need to shave off 11mm from each door width, plus some more for clearance.

Questions. How much do I need to remove for the clearance? There is no rebate but I plan to add a plank down where the doors close together to stop the wind whistling through. Are there any better methods?

If I use 2x4 instead for the frame I am left with a gap of 28mm. Is

28mm enough for the clearance and perhaps a small strip of rebate wood? Is 2 x4 strong enough to use as a frame?

Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

You don't say how accurately the doors are hung (door hinges, gate hinges?) or how accurate/rigid the joinery.

I'd choose the heavier 75 * 100 frame, as you will no doubt need some substantial fixings for the doors (and the frames to masonry). Hang the doors, close them against each other, mark the overlap and take off and trim one of the doors (remember they may sag a little bit so the shut line may not be quite parallel with the door edge). A cut rebate offers slightly better security than an applied one. I guess you've already figured your solution for bolts & locks?

Reply to
dom

Hi, thank you for your helpful reply. The doors are old second hand and well made, but not excessively heavy. I'm planning on using 3 gate hinges per door. Do you know what clearance I should leave between the doors and frame? Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

Hinge side, I'd go for about 5mm - assuming these are fully framed and boarded doors that will only sag to a minute extent. Bit more if they're ledged and braced doors (which are more likely to sag a bit as they get older).

Reply to
dom