Accordion door: trimming width?

Hi, I have an oddball utility closet opening in my basement of 38" wide, and th e thickness of the doorway wall is only 2" wide. I was thinking of install ing an accordion door. I don't want to install a regular 36" pre-hung door and wall up the doorway even more because I want as much clear width as pos sible in order to service and remove the equipment inside (water softener, salt tank, acid neutralizer, etc) as it's a very tight fit. Of course, I w on't be servicing/swapping this equipment often, but I'd rather not hem mys elf in. That said, the accordion doors I see on HomeDepot and Lowes indica te they can be trimmed for height, but no mention on whether they can be tr immed for width. If I buy a 48" wide accordion door, is it reasonable to t rim the width? Any experience is appreciated. Regards, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

Would an alternative work? Use a piece of paneling as a door. Cut it a little bigger than the opening. Nail a 1"x1" frame to for reinforcement. Install a couple wooden floor vents for air. Use magnets to hold the assembly against the wall.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, and true, but also hoping for something that the missus will have no grounds for criticizing as homemade, as I'm sure some folks on this list can relate to.

Reply to
millinghill

Without seeing it, take the end off and trim away. Maybe some cheap pop rivits to put the edge back on. Rivits and a gun can be had for ten bucks ish.

Reply to
Thomas

Would a sliding "Barn Door" type of door work? I have trimmed an accordion style door to fit a narrower opening, but it was a pain in the butt and I wouldn't recommend it if you can work something else out like a fancy barn door.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I bet myself $10 you've already thought of a roll up/pull down interior door or shutter.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman