Trimming a door

I am intending to trim 1/2" from the bottom of a solid oak panel door using a skil saw. Do I have to take any precautions to avoid tear-out of the ends of the stiles? Thanks.

Reply to
Jay Kellaway

Score the door with a sharp knife just a hair north of your cut and you should be good to go even with a poor blade.

Reply to
Jimmy

Jimmy has the answer, score the door first. Also make sure you don't have any burrs on the bottom of you skill saw table or use cardboard or tape under it to be safe. You don't want to scratch your door with the skill saw.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Scoring with a knife would help.

I'd also try to figure out if there is enough wood there to take a 1/2" off without destroying the door. I recall trimming a wood paneled storm door as a kid only to find that the bottom of the tennons then showed. Apparently the door had been trimmed before or the tennons were quite wide. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

How would the bottom of the door show? You'd have to be about 1/8" tall to see anything.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This month's (January 2007) Fine Home Bouilding magazine has a short how-to on trimming doors. I glanced at it. There was a picture of making measurments while the door is still hung, there was tape involved in the cutting and I think I saw a scoring knife......

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I could have used that how-to when I cut a door down to accommodate carpet and ended up taking 3/4 inch off the TOP...

Reply to
jimmy

They would show after cutting but that wasn't the problem. The problem is that if you cut the bottom side off the mortise there isn't anything to support and hold the bottom rail and panels in place... though the mortise and tennon is nailed (not glued) everything eventually falls due to gravity.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin