It's winter. Here is my crappy little shop. Anyone else want to post pics of their Shoppe?

It's bright, warm, and cozy with a killer view but not big enough. Are they ever big enough.

's unfinished and will remain that way. The next guy can finish it...:)

Reply to
jimmy

Chris

Where's the snow? I've got about 16 inches up here in Michigan. The forecast for the weekend is for lows in the single digits with more snow. I've got a great view overlooking Lake Huron from my shop. It's bright, warm, cozy but not as clean as yours. I love the winters up here. Perfect woodworking weather. Nice shop!

Reply to
Steve

LOL! You should have seen it the day before. I do almost all my concrete work outside until fall and basically use the shop for storage during the summer. The day before this it was a complete pig sty. Sadly I have to work indoors for 5 months of winter which is not fun. I seal much of my concrete work with a Xylene based sealer. You haven't lived until you've experienced Xylene in an enclosed space. Reminds me of my hippie days..

I wear a good mask but still. On day I forgot too remove the dog and she was walking funny for a couple hours. I was really worried about her.

I put in a sink this fall that drains directly into a rock pit I dug in the yard so I can clean up the concrete tools and molds without going outside. Even so the concrete and silica dust isn't as bad as some of the wood dusts I've experienced.

Reply to
jimmy

Those pictures were taken before the snow...:) Here you go, at our worst. My pickup and to the right the road..:)

have about 2 feet on the ground now.

Here is a winter picture from my shop window. Nice to be indoors.

I've got about 16 inches up here in Michigan. The

I agree. My problem is what to do with the stuff I make until spring. I can't put it outside. I have almost a ton (no that's not an exaggeration) of concrete pots, tiles, stones, etc already tucked away in every possible corner.

Thanks. It was the best I could do with the space I had. It's about half the size of my last shop but it meets my needs.

Reply to
jimmy

Only when you're trying to heat them,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Looks nice and organized. I miss the snow, sometimes. Especially when it's cold and dry. Here's my shop:

Tom

Reply to
tom

Nice Tom. I've collected plans to build similar tool stations but never got around to it. My long wood clamps are in my bedroom closet....:) I never had the skills to justify the cost of the wood so it's probably for the best. Now the price of hardwood is just nuts. I plan to start veneering soon though as soon as I buy a press. I have about 300 square feet of the stuff.

Reply to
jimmy

I built all that shop stuff outta scrap (and a few sheets of MDF and Wilsonart). My circumstances afford me much scrap. Didn't cost much at all. Tom

Reply to
tom

Actually I was thinking of the cost of materials for projects AFTER I made the stations. :) I picked up my arborite bench tops for $10 each at a secondhand office supply place.

6' by 3' and 1.5 inches thick. I can hardly lift one. They have tons of countertop material that is great for tool stations.

But new lumber is a different story. I wanted to make a coffee/game table for chess and backgammon and after pricing the wood I said "forget it". I just can't afford it. I now plan to use an old oak table I picked up cheap and use concrete on the top for the gaming surface. I'm testing colors right now. The problem with colored concrete is it takes 3-5 weeks before you know what color you have. It has to cure before you can apply sealers. Only then do you know what you have. :)

Reply to
jimmy

they ever big

I know the feeling of sticker shock. I'm hoarding what cherry and maple I've got for something, I'm sure. Good thing you've got the veneer thing happening, as that's what it was invented for, eh? My Grandfather did some nice stuff with it. Are you getting a vacuum press? Tom

Reply to
tom

Here's mine!Q A little 10 X 12 aluminum shed with an interior that looks like an explosion in a tool warehouse. But hey . . . how much space do I need to make little boxes? I do regret being unable to make large projects unless I take the outside the shed.

FoggyTown

That's why I insulated the hell out of this shop. It's on a cement pad but the floor is on 2x8s and fully insulated. Six inch walls, good windows. 12 inches in the ceiling above 2 inches of blue Styrofoam . Every crack foamed, the highest r rated doors I could find.

2 large windows set high in the south east facing wall provide heat from the sun. If the sun is shining even at 20 below the heater doesn't run. 2 ceiling fans circulate the heat down into the room as well.
Reply to
Jimmy

they ever big

got around to

for the best.

I would like a vacuum press. I'm thinking of trying that system Lee Valley sells but I haven't done much research on it. I have some veneers that are extremely 'bumpy' but beautiful. Even direct weight doesn't flatten them out. I think a vacuum system will work on these. I don't plan to veneer anything big so the bag system might be my answer. I may pick one up at the end of the month and give it a try. I'm running out of room to store/cure my concrete work so I may go back to woodworking for awhile. I'd really like to make an exotic wood computer case. I've wanted to do that for years now.

Reply to
jimmy

metal shed used to RAIN inside so bad everything had to be covered with plastic.

Reply to
jimmy

Here's The Current Status of The Shop

charlie b

hanging off some jury-rigged 2x4.

Reply to
Upscale

Well you can look at mine today.

Markem

double-decker workbench. Too much crap on the bench? Why clean it off, just keep adding new layers on top.

Mine:

Leuf

Whats going on?? No one has cars in their shop? I thought that was a requirement. I have to have everything on rollers and crammed to the side for the vehicles - well at least for the wifes. She doesn't give a flip where mine is.

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
lucky4fingers