Replacing windows during the winter???

Hi all,

I need some advice. I should have done this sooner but just thought about it.

I just signed a contract to have my windows replaced. I spent all summer researching windows and also changing my mind a billion times about what options I wanted. So, it's now mid-November and I finally got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jersey. The job will start within approximately 8 weeks. (It's a fairly big job cuz it's an old house and there will be different windows/options, even the front door). Anyway, 8 weeks would mean this will be done sometime around early January - middle of winter. Now I think maybe that's a stupid thing. I've never owned a house before so I don't know what I'm doing. Is it stupid to have this done in the winter? I mean, aside from the house getting cold and the inconvenience, is there something else I should know? Like, might there be installation issues or problems that only occur when installing in the winter that don't occur in the warmer months? Anything I should be looking out for???

Thanks.

New-to-home-ownership.

Reply to
Girlygirl

Hi, Not a problem. I am in Calgary, Alberta(cold in winter). They do that sort of thing in winter all the time. They know what they are doing. Just make sure your contractor is experienced reputable one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you want bugs or cold?

Seriously I'm in NJ and had a bunch of windows replaced in the winter. Close the door to each room as they do it if it bothers you. They only have the opening open for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

You'll make up the heat you lose with the new windows.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hey, thanks for that. My contractor is experienced. I was nervous cuz I notice most people get them done in the Spring and I thought that, aside from the obvious, maybe there was some other reason I didn't know about. I feel better now. Thanks! :)

Reply to
Celia0022

Thanks Jersey guy!! And, guess what!? I HATE BUGS!! But I looove winter. So I guess I'm doing the right thing! :)

Reply to
Celia0022

Nope, just wear a sweater.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the summer.

Reply to
tnom

I am in the same boat. The caulk is a BIG issue. It stands between you and leakage for 30 years; you do not want it compromised. I am insisting that they only do the install when the air is 50 or above.

Alternatively, ask to see the caulk tube and read the temperature range in which it is to be installed.

DPA

Reply to
NeedleNose

Any other materials that would work just as well and perform better in freezing temperatures?

Reply to
Noozer

Caulk is not a big issue. Most oil based caulks (one part urethane and polyurethane) are oil based and can be applied in any weather. Check out OSI quad for example. Says right on the installation instructions "will not freeze". Latex caulks cannot be applied in freezing weather, but they shouldn't be using latex caulks anyway.

Reply to
marson

quoted text -

Be sure the installer is good and doesnt rush the job as to Plumb, Level , and Square. Most companies have a 1/8" limit as to how far out of of measurement this can be or all warranty is void. My instaler screwed up and several had to be redone.

Reply to
ransley

Ask yourself 2 questions:

1 - If you were doing it yourself, would you be more relaxed and comfortable on a sunny 70 degree day or on a dreary 20 degree day?

2 - When are you apt to do a better job...on a warm, sunny day when you're relaxed and comfortable or when you're hating life 'cuz your fingers are stiff, a frigid wind is blowing in your face and you're bundled up in a jacket and hat?

Attitude has as much to do with a good installation as does the quality of the materials and the skill of the worker.

Why not see if you can reschedule for early spring when any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply wouldn't exist?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

She's not going to do it herself. The contractors are going to dress warmly. I have done outside contracting work when it was snowing or freezing rain was falling, or had fallen. I have had to broom the snow off floor joists to be able to walk on them. You're probably going to get a job done sooner when it is off season work. In warm weather you'll probably get put on a list and have to wait.

Reply to
willshak

re: She's not going to do it herself.

Never said she was, never implied she was. My post was about attitude.

Anybody that's done a fair amount of construction/remodeling/repair work has probably worked in less than favorable conditions. Did you enjoy walking on snow covered floor joists or would you have rather it been 70, sunny and dry? Do you think its possible that you might not have noticed something or done something due to the distraction of the snow and bad weather?

I just came in from raking the leaves on a damp and chilly November afternoon. Had it been nicer, I would have stayed out longer and probably done a better job. Due to the weather, I did a "good enough" job. Do I want my windows installed "good enough" or do I want a contractor that is in a good mood, enjoying life and more apt to notice the little things like a piece of trim out of place or a section of caulk that could be fixed, but doesn't really have to be?

She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply wouldn't exist.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, Sounds like in cold winter life has to come to grinding halt? Where I am winter can be cold like -30F. There is a saying work done winter time is better than done in humid hot summer. Building sun rooms, replacing windows for the whole house, stuff like that goes year round. My neighbor just havd all windows on his house replaced last week. Why should she have to suffer cold draft and energy waste for another winter? And there is warranty. Good windows these days come with at least 10 year warranty against leak and/or defects.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sure, but the Winter money was just as good as in the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

No. In warm weather, there are just as many distractions, maybe more. No one is standing around doing nothing when it is cold.

I do a lot of physical work when it is very cold out. I dress in layers, including my legs, but after a while, I start sweating and the outer clothing layers start coming off. Maybe it is because I was born in December, and in the NE US, and have lived in the NE all of my 70 years. I'd rather work when it is 40ºF out rather than 99ºF.

Why do you assume that people who are working in inclement weather are in a bad mood, or careless, or inattentive? Maybe they are in a better mood because they are getting paid, rather than being laid off for the winter. Skiers, snow boarders, and snowmobile riders are certainly in a good mood, and careful, and attentive.

Well, you're not going to do the job, and others may not have the same aversions to working in the cold.

Reply to
willshak

I changed windows last January. I had windows 2000 and changed to windows XP. My house never got cold from doing it, and there were no other problems except that I could not get on the internet for a couple hours. The only installation issues I had was that it said I should have more memory. I already know that, because I am always forgetting where I leave my keys and wallet.

Norman T.

Reply to
normant36002

Hi, Better be XP Pro, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I got my siding installed in the winter. I had hired a contractor I use all the time and has always done good work for that and other work. I was flexible; I would have happily waited until spring, but he and his crew wanted to get the job done.

Amazed me - but they dressed warm; I did some snow shovelling around the house but they kept it clear too, and it got done.

Windows would present a problem of cold air coming in in the process of installation; but that can be held to a minimum unless problems are discovered. I don't see an issue. Not with the job; not with worker attitude.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

now

I work as a contractor in the upper midwest. We always fight a perception that work can't be done outside in the winter. This is just not true. I have framed houses, changed windows, built decks, etc in all months of the year, and scoff at the notion that quality suffers. Frankly, I would take a 10 degree day over a 90 degree humid day hands down. I am not exaggerating. People just don't realize that you can dress for cold and your body acclimates. If you feel cold, hypothermic, hands numb, etc. then you are not dressed right. If your contractor says he can change windows in the winter, then trust that he knows what he is doing and go for it.

Reply to
marson