Washing machine failure: brushes?

W/m (Bosch Exxcel 1200) failed to turn today. I hoped it was just a failed motor brush but found they were, while well worn, both smooth and free from cracks etc. In the past with brushes which were simply getting short I've not had a sudden complete failure but I've seen v few. Are they still the likely culprit?

Photo in link FWIW.

Robin

They look considerably worn-down compared to a new set, so I'd think so (or at least worth a £7 punt).

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I had a (Hotpoint) washing machine that had motor brushes the motor would completely stop when the brushes got too short. On removing the brushes they would look OK with plenty of the brush left but on comparison with a new set it became obvious that the old brushes were around the third of the length of the new brushes. New brushes always cured my problem with a non-working motor.

Reply to
alan_m

Use your ohmmeter, ohm from end to end (end-of-brush ohms to connector on other end). Maybe there's a broken wire in there.

Ohms must be low, to allow stall current to flow at 0 RPM. If the brush contact is ohmic, maybe the end of the brush becomes glowing hot and it doesn't spin.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yup I would replace them - they are significantly worn... (should be about 4cm long on many Bosch wm motors)

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like there's approx nothing left of those brushes. Yes I'd replace em.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr