Microwave turntable motor failed.

Its a 17-yo Sharp microwave combi-oven which does a good job as a mini-oven because it has an upper and a lower grill element, so heats up quickly.

A few days ago there was a lot of graunching noises and the turntable no longer turns.

I have removed the synchronous motor and the gears are all fine. Turning the spigot with pliers rotates the motor itself, I can hear it.

It's marked AC220-240V 2.5.3 RPM 3/2.5Watts.

My multimeter says the contacts are 14.77 Kohms and if I connect direct to the mains it is dead, not even a buzzing.

This place sells them :-

But I'm not paying £102, when they should be obtainable for about

10 to £15.

Part is marked CHINA GPS Corp ST-16 synchronous motor

MN73SSAQ RMOTDA227WREO

There is a 2nd hand one on ebay for £10, but that might be dead too. An Amazon site has them for about £45. Still too much.

Any ideas who else might sell them ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Do a google image or ebay search on Panasonic synchronous microwave motor

For about 5mins work with a hacksaw, should come in under a fiver for something that looks about the same. Can't be that critical...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between manufactures. A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and they all appear to be of the same two physical construction irrespective of the microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe the gearing changes, mine was 5/5 rpm (which I think means 5rpm on

50Hz and 6Hz on 60Hz)

the o/p seems to want 2.5/3 rpm

so maybe

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

Reply to
Andy Burns

But does it really matter if a turntable revolves (slowly) at twice the rate?

Reply to
alan_m

So its a small motor, like the ones in old electric clocks with a gear train? Are you absolutely sure the gears are ok? I'm assuming they are plastic, as otherwise they would get cooked. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It might load the motor more if its going faster. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important too.

Reply to
Andrew

Yup, I bent back the four crimps holding the base on and the plastic gears are fine, plenty of grease still in there. Definately the motor at fault.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

But that one looks quite promising. Worth a try.

Reply to
Andrew

you say lugs, I say pins

some motors start in a random direction each time, others start in a defined direction, I don't know if any turntables care?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interestingly, I had always noticed that if I stopped microwaving porridge after 1 min, to give it a stir, then pressing start again the turntable would rotate in the opposite direction, after another minute the same stop/start would send it back in the original direction.

The motor only has two ?lugs for the electrical connection, so how would a synchronous motor do this ?. Hopefully the failed motor hasn't taken out a solid state component somewhere.

This microwave has three convection heaters, two quartz ones in the top and a conventional 'dark' element under the turntable. It gets up to temperature in a few minutes. No other combi/micro seems to have the lower grilling element and there are plenty of comments from people who say their Panny/Samsung/? take 30 mins or more to get up to 200C, or even never gets there.

My sharp oven can go up 240C (not that I have tried it), in fact until about 5 years ago I had never used the convection setting.

Reply to
Andrew

My Daewoo does that, though I think the direction is random. (The instructions warn you about this.) Synchronous clocks tended to restart backwards after a power cut unless there's a mechanism to prevent it, and a brush motor with a two pole armature would start either way; presumably that's why they always have an odd number of poles.

Reply to
Max Demian

Microwave oven motors are pretty much universal. Rotation speed varies a bit but doesn't matter at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1