Microwave Turntable Stopped

My 18 month old Panasonic microwave's turntable has stopped going round. It's this model:

anyone know if this is an easy repair, either by me (sort of OK at pulling things apart) or a technician?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Our old microwave had the same problem a few years ago: the problem was by some silly sod (ahem) trying to defrost a quart of milk overnight on a programmed defrost which incorporated 2 hours on 'rest' - unfortunately it was actually 2 hours on full whack, and the ensuing flood of milk inside the machine's innards tripped the MCB and meant our radio alarm didn't go off next morning and we... anyway I digress.

With ours I was able to buy a new motor from the manufacturer's parts supplier fairly reasonably, and it was just a case of a couple of bolts holding it in place once I'd got the lid off the machine. I wouldn't play about with anything associated with the microwave zapper or whatever, but it was pretty simply and innocuous to repair the motor in mine.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Definitely stay away from the microwave side - the capacitor in use there holds lethal amounts of volts and amps, something like 2KV at 500mA which

*will* kill you. First rule of working on a microwave is to *always* discharge that cap, even if you're not going to be working near there cos it's so easy for a finger to stray, or for you to drop a screwdriver or whatever.....

Hellraiser.............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Many thanks both - I might well take a look. And thanks for the advice on discharging the capacitor. Is this simply a case of leaving it unplugged for a period of time - say 24 hours?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Access to the TT motor on practically all modern microwaves is from the underside. You have to remove a round "knock-out" section, only you can't actually knock it out, you need to use a rat-tail file or even side-cutters. There are lugs and a screw hole provided for re-assembly just have a look underneath any microwave and you will see what I mean. UNPLUG FIRST Once you have got it open a couple of screws will remove the motor. On Panasonics there is a spindle coupler that slips, so it may just be that. Does the spindle rotate with the turntable removed?

Reply to
Graham

Most microwaves have a circuit to discharge the cap, but sometimes this can fail and leave it fully charged, hence the need to discharge it. There are tools that can do it, or alternatively a screwdriver across the contacts provides a satisfying bang and light show, but can damage the cap (and the screwdriver holder) if not done carefully. Don't try to use a multimeter to determine if it's charged or not though......

Hellraiser.................>

Reply to
Hellraiser