Toilet flush no good - help!

Since I moved house, I've noticed the toilet doesn't flush very well, and now it has reached the stage where the flush handle has to be pumped about

3-4 times to initiate a flush, and the flush itself is usually quite weak - also the handle only seems to return to the halfway position and needs to be manually reset to the correct position. What is likely to be the cause of this? The toilet itself seems quite new (the bathroom was refitted a couple of years before we moved in), and it's a modern close-coupled unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Hellraiser

Diaphragm knackered, you can make one from some thin polythene, or replace the innards altogether

Reply to
Phil L

The handle lifts a one-way diaphram valve in the wide end of the syphon. Most likely, the diaphram is split or falling to pieces. Replacements are available. I've never replaced one in a close coupled cistern, and I suspect you'll have to take the cistern off in order to get the syphon out. If you do, you'll need a new doughnut washer to seal the cistern back on to the bowl, as reusing an existing doughnut washer rarely works.

Only other thought is if the water level in the cistern is much lower than it should be, but I've never seen that happen. As things wear, the water level tends to go up if anything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I usually replace the innards - a syphon only costs about £8 in a DIY store

A few times I've replaced diaphragms with propper store bought ones only to find the old syphon has a split in it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you have to replace the siphon unit I recommend using silicone sanitary sealant when you reconnect the water outlet pipe to the new siphon where it protrudes through the hole at the bottom of the cistern. Then you are sure that it doesn't leak.

Reply to
DIY

Cool - thanks everyone for your help, looks like a visit to the local DIY emporium tomorrow :)

Cheers

Hellraiser.............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Sometimes the spindle of the handle gets a bit gummed up with rust and this can stop it returning fully and will cause a weaker flush. Diaphragm most likely though.

Reply to
John

I fitted a "turbo" syphon unit to my close-coupled toilet before it became faulty. This is a syphon which comes apart and doesn't need to be removed. I don't know if they're still available. Syphons come in at least 2 heights, so measure it, or take the old one with you.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE