Heavy Netting source

I've inherited an 18 month old grandson (the genuine item is still in the 'oven' and due in July) - this has forced me to address the hazard of the garden pond kind of earlier than anticipated.

I am not going down the road of filling the pond in, so don't even suggest it - I was brought up with ponds so why shouldn't this generation?

My thinking is some battens and a heavy net - viz the type of thing that the catamarans in hot holiday places have for the sun poached tourists to disport themselves on. Anyone know of a source of such please?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You could team up with NT, and let him practice his new toy on some angle iron and mesh..

Reply to
James Salisbury

Battens will rot in not time in such proximity to water, or at least become brittle enough to be useless for this application. Why not try this:

've seen it in person and I can walk safely across it, it's a fiver a sq foot fitted, or £3.50 DIY.

If that's too expensive, you might want to use concrete reinforcing mesh, which has holes about 5 inches across....again it will eventually rot, being made of steel, but not for quite a few years

Reply to
Phil L

walk around local docks and pick up a piece of old trawl net .... or pinch goal nets form local park !

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , robgraham writes

You haven't said how big it is

I have a small pond and, having lost a few koi to the local heron, I covered it with plastic coated wire fencing

I bought a 5m x 1m roll - enough for my requirements

Reply to
geoff

This is the stuff I use to hold down insulation over my giant rhubarb during the winter, but it is designed as a fence material.

least obtrusive solution I've seen to the problem of children and ponds was heavy duty galvanised 2" square weldmesh set horizontally about 1 inch below the surface. It will rust in time, but, unless you are into very large families, not before the kids have grown up enough not to need it.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , robgraham writes

Try the electric netting designed to control Rabbits or farm livestock.

farmcareuk.com for example.

You don't have to electrify it:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry - I thought you said Heavy Petting source.

Ha Ha

Reply to
cliper52

In message , cliper52 writes

It only leads to trouble and seat wetting...

Learn how to post newbie ...

top posting and sig sep would be useful topics for you to start with

Reply to
geoff

Agreed and that comment is *so* UKRM Pipesque

Reply to
Me Here

In message , Me Here writes

It rubs off you know

Reply to
geoff

Once when I was little I got stuck under the net on the pond. Make sure it's firmly fixed at the edges!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Said Bill Clinton.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why cover the top? why not fence the edge? Like you we survived our childhood dangers but ended up using plastic coated fencing set 3 - 4' away from the edge once our friends children called to play with our two.

Gio

Reply to
Gio