Buying Netting

Am putting up a fruit cage 8ft long x 6ft wide x 6ft high, for someone at their allotment.

And I'm confronted by a bewildering array of different types of netting available. Also confusingly, I've seen advised; using a 'different netting' for the roof, than for the sides of the cage.

Can anyone advise from 'where' I can buy a * reasonably-priced * netting please. Thanks.

Reply to
john t west

I used cheap nylon netting stapled on, and where it wasn't wide enough I stretched a wire where the join would be and tie-wrapped it to that. This works well.

The birds do not like it and do not attack it, and if it gets damaged it can be patched with more tie wraps!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a similar project planned for next spring. I've been advised to use galvanised 1/2" mesh for the sides but a fabric or light plastic for the roof because birds don't like landing on it as it is not stable. If they don't land they are most unlikely to shit on the fruit.

Looking for the wire mesh,

seem to be amongst the cheapest. Several other sources on ebay. I've not looked for the fabric net yet but "pond netting" has been suggested to me.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have a netted cage. Timber frame, plastic net. I was hoping to keep cabbage white butterflies out. But they can squeeze through a hole less than 10mm square.

Very hard to keep small birds out too. My main problem was pigeons.

I have dug old sheet metal into the ground to keep out moles.

Reply to
harryagain

I would use plastic netting, I used woven netting and the snow settled on it and built up so not doing the frame any good I should add it was on a cage approx 40 ft X 18ft. I would just cover it with one piece, sides and top. David @ a dull but at present rain free side of Swansea Bay

Reply to
David

I can't advise you in general on netting, but I would surmise that the advice about using different netting for the roof may be to allow for the weight of snow in winter. I seem to remember someone on urg losing their fruit cage roof and having to replace it, so the type of netting does have a bearing on the matter. Perhaps ring Harrods Horticulture or Agriframes for their advice?

Reply to
Spider

Not sure cheap applies:-)

You can get UV stabilised net that stops Cabbage White and Carrot Fly but it also blocks a fair bit of Sun.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For a small fruit cage like that to keep the birds out, any cheap plastic 1 inch netting will do, tack it on to the frame. Wilkos do one and so do the pound shops. No need to spend a whole lot on netting. It's not bad for keeping cabbage whites out from the brassicas either, but you have to raise it well above the plants at all times as they grow, otherwise Mrs large/small white butterfly just pokes her ovipositor through the netting to lay eggs on a leaf she can reach.

Reply to
Christina Websell

Bought our fruit cages from Harrod Horticulture and they came with nylon welded netting for the sides, so quite stiff, and soft pliable woven mesh netting for the roof. Unfortunately if it snows and it settles on the roof the roof netting can get stretched possibly even damaging the cage so they recommend taking off the roof netting each winter, or if like us you are using it as a cabbage cage, changing the roof netting for a wide anti pigeon netting which lets the snow through easier.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

LBS have a very good woven netting for the roof which can also be used for the sides, I personally use chicken wire on the sides because I grow stuff on it. I would not even think about the non woven nylon net, it wont last a season and breaks for a past time.

Top tip if its a largish cage then the roof will sag, especially when wet. prop it up with wood poles set in the ground, but place glass jars on the top to prevent the net wearing through, this stops you getting soaking when harvesting after wet weather!

Reply to
Charlie Pridham

LBS do a heavy duty 25mm bird netting that has a 6 to 7 year life, and having had a woven cover brought down by snow I'd go for the thinner fiber. As it is only a small cage(8 x6 x6) you shouldn't need a center support but if you do then a 2x2 with a pop bottle on the top would do the trick, safer than jam jars. David @ a rain free side of Swansea bay

Reply to
David