Termites in decorative fixture

Reply to
nospambob

I've got a new house, built last year (2003-04). But I brought to it some ornate antique carved wooden panels to frame an archway -- eight feet tall, two-and-a-half feet wide. These panels haven't been installed yet. I've noticed the telltale signs of termite debris at the foot of these panels where I've got them stored (in a steel and drywall garage).

Is there a way of reasonably cheaply getting rid of the termites in a spot manner? My only experience killing termites has involved putting a tent over a house. I'd hate to throw away these antique panels.

Maybe I can find someone who's having THEIR house tented and get 'em to let me store the panels there during the tenting. ;-)

Jim Beaver

Reply to
Jim Beaver

In article , snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.spam says... :) I've got a new house, built last year (2003-04). But I brought to it some :) ornate antique carved wooden panels to frame an archway -- eight feet tall, :) two-and-a-half feet wide. These panels haven't been installed yet. I've :) noticed the telltale signs of termite debris at the foot of these panels :) where I've got them stored (in a steel and drywall garage). :) :) Is there a way of reasonably cheaply getting rid of the termites in a spot :) manner? My only experience killing termites has involved putting a tent :) over a house. I'd hate to throw away these antique panels. :) :) Maybe I can find someone who's having THEIR house tented and get 'em to let :) me store the panels there during the tenting. ;-) :) :) Jim Beaver :) If you are located in an area that fumigations are common you might find a company that gives you access to a reasonably priced fumigation of the pieces. You can also have a company treat them with Termidor and should have good results. I haven't used it on dry wood termites, but termidor has way surpassed what they claimed with control of sub- terranean termites and ant control so I wouldn't think the results for dry woods should be any different.

Reply to
Lar

How big are these panels? If you can, see if they will fit in your freezer. I seem to remember a termite company advertising termite eradication with liquid nitrogen injections.

If they are bigger you might be able to go someplace with a walk in freezer. Ask your local university extension if this will work.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

discusses pretty much exactly this topic. They don't mention liquid borate products like Boracare, Tim-Bor, which may work depending on what the panels are finished with, and whether you can inject or soak them without destroying them.

Reply to
default