Controlling dry wood termites

We found dry wood termites in our house, and fumigation is not an option for us. A termite inspector suggested local treatment with termicides based on Pyrythrin. But I could not find such a substance: looks like Pyrythrin is a very mild insecticide, and it is not used against termites.

What termicide is known to be efficient against dry wood termites ?

Reply to
ivk

Google for pyrethrum, the generic name. (Pyrythrin may be an error or a brand name.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) We found dry wood termites in our house, and fumigation is not an :) option for us. A termite inspector suggested local treatment with :) termicides based on Pyrythrin. But I could not find such a substance: :) looks like Pyrythrin is a very mild insecticide, and it is not used :) against termites. :) :) What termicide is known to be efficient against dry wood termites ? :) :) I would have a company try termidor. It has gone past expectations and claims with sub terranean termites and ant control...don't see why the same success wouldn't be expected for dry wood. The problem with what was recommended to you is that it is a repellant and would think there would be too much a chance of moving them elsewhere rather than kill them.

Reply to
Lar

planetorange had written this in response to

: contact an orange oil company Nathan planet orange

------------------------------------- Lar wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
planetorange

:

If the dry wood infestation is mild then orange oil can be used, but it doesn't do as good a job as fumigation with vikane.

For a severe infestation tenting and using vikane is necessary (or heat treatment). The alternative is to wait until the house collapses, and then rebuild with steel construction.

I have a rental unit in a townhouse complex that is being tented today. We looked at orange oil, which is offered by the pest control company we are using, but they advised us that only fumigation would work and it's less expensive than trying to find every nook and cranny and treat it with orange oil (in reality you simply can't find infestations that are hidden from view It's a hassle to deal with the tenting, but the gas dissipates very quickly when the tent is removed.

I don't know of any companies that do heat treatment (heating the structure to 120 degrees F.

None of these methods prevent re-infestation.

Reply to
SMS