Garden sheds - any recommendations?

I'm thinking about putting up a smallish garden shed, say 8ft x 6ft, mainly to store garden equipment and the like that has to be cleared from the garage so I can complete my workshop conversion. The B&Q/Wickes and similar models seem extremely basic and even rather crude in their construction, given their price, so does anyone have any recommendations for other makes? A quick search around reveals a pretty wide range of manufacturers, specs and prices - is there a standout range with a good balance between quality and cost?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I have just come in from the garden after laying another load of concrete for a shed base. I would not buy a shed sight unseen. We will be buying a shed manufactured by TGB.

based on finding an excellent range at a local Garden Centre. The Apex comes in three grades, Standard, Superior and Rhino. My head tells me that the Standard should see me out, but the Engineer in me is nagging me to go for the Rhino.

Regards JonH

Reply to
JonH

Thanks for that; very useful. "Rhino" is a wonderful designation for the top model in the range (but why aren't the lesser sheds equally imaginatively named?). I was going to ask for advice about a suitable base, but I see you favour concrete.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Foxes have not as yet figured out how to dig holes in concrete. I have a shed about to fall into a void from fox excavations. as it happens the shed is very old and therefore its not worth it, but it was built on hardcore and stones etc, and the foxes seemed to dig it with no issues. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A while back, on one of the Sarah Beeny programmes, there was a house with subsidence that was cured with an industrial application of expanding builders polyurethane foam under the foundations / in various voids, etc. Could a similar process be used to fill the fox holes under your shed, perhaps?

Reply to
David Paste

I have a bit of a prejudice against wooden sheds laid onto slabs or concrete. Never seems very good ventilation to me. Probably down to our old house where the original shed base was very rotten. Though that garden was heavy clay with very poor drainage.

When we replaced it i laid down some half concrete blocks, bedded onto some sand or sand/cement with fence posts laid across those to support the shed.

Reply to
chris French

I thought the usual practise was to have a few wooden beams holding the flat shed floor above the base? Does that really not give adequate ventilation?

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's the way its always seemed to me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you make the slab proud enough from the ground, and use a DPM, there's no need for a wooden base to the shed - just build the shed walls from timber, straight off the concrete floor.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Why not get one, then? A passable electric barrow mixer is less than

200 quid new - second best thing I ever bought for my domestic works, after the trailer.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

That might be fine for storage, but wood would be rather more comfortable to stand on for any length of time, surely?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Depends whether you wear shoes or not.

If you intend to use the shed as an atavistic male retreat, put down a nice rug.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Not a standard but, if you are in the locality, a very fine shed maker is Beaver Sheds

located in Chawston, Bedfordshire I have had three from them and have recommended to friends; all have been delighted. The specification of construction is on their web site. If you want a door or window in a particular position they will make it for you and not at great extra cost. The one I have now is 15 years old and looks as good as the day it arrived.

Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet

Mike,

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll take a look.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It's much better than that. Someone always wants to borrow it. I paid £160 for mine on ebay and every time I lend it out I get a crate of beer or similar. That works out at over £300 worth of beer in 3 years so the machine is actually free!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Much explained here

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
Bert Coules

From casual observation, the common way is to lay the shed base direct onto the concrete or whatever. By base I'm referring to the (usually small) joists as well that are supporting the timber of the floor.

I've never liked this as it always seems to be asking for some rot to occur over the years in these timbers

Reply to
chris French

You could have the tiniest of slopes on the concrete to assist run-off, or if you're really good at planning nd measuring, make the pad *just* big enough for the shed and run a skirt of DPC around under the lowest cladding strip (may require sligh disassembly if using pre-buily shed).

But, unless the concrete is susceptible to pooling (ie has a hollow) the water should dry out pretty quickly...

Reply to
Tim Watts