Is this a stoat?

so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Feral golden ferret, whilst the tail looks a bit dark it looks too big for a stoat and the front isn't white. The mask isn't conspicuous so it hasn't much polecat left in it.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

What an apt description of Hazel.:-)

whilst the tail looks a bit dark it looks too big for a

Its within stoat dimensions.

Front of WHAT isn't white?

I'll check its dentition.

That should settle the matter.

Hmm. I have to say the teeth are ferret.

And in a better light there is a vestigial mask.

I hope the bloke up the hill's kid isn't missing one..

Damn. could have kept it as a pet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a mile from any habitation except you.

Reply to
Phil L

A bit harsh, Phil. TNP has his moments, but this wasn't one of them.

We've a ferret that's near-identical in length and coat to the one in the picture, albeit fatter. And ferrets _love_ to roam - as anyone who's ever taken one for walks (or has lost one - all too easily done) knows painfully well. A mile or two is no challenge at all.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Green

At least I have the decency to admit it when I do make a mistake.

I personally have NEVER seen a ferret that colour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about 350 yards downhill across a field...into prime bunny hunting territory.:-(

Must have been roaming in the warm sunshine, and couldn't find a bunny-lunch or find its way home.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what do you cross a moat with...Ahh yes a drawbridge.

Reply to
bigeye

More likely left behind by some amateur rabbiters unwilling to wait while it finished baby rabbit lunch.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have.

I have an idea my father's Ferrets were albino and had pink eyes.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ferret?

Reply to
F Murtz

I think if you read back up thread a bit you will find this is a quote derived from a usually reliable source central to the conversation :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

So have I.

Reply to
Newshound

When there are few rabbits they don't burrow. So mixi is almost non-existant. So they breed like... rabbits. Population high, they burrow, share fleas and get mixi. Population drops. mixi diminishes....ad nauseum....

Reply to
<me9

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Umm.. rabbits only produce young in burrows. These may be isolated from the main warren.

Another factor in disease spread is Autumn harvesting of cereals when the loss of ground cover forces rabbits into closer contact.

Disease spread may be limited by geographical features such as rivers or busy motorways leaving pockets of healthy rabbits to restart the cycle.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb