Locks for four garden sheds

Hi all, I?ve got four sheds and non have the same lock so it?s awkward having various keys and padlocks and mind are very secure. Does anyone have a good idea of how to have either combination locks with the same combination number, padlocks with suited alike keys, or a simple but secure latch or rim lock? Thanks

Reply to
office

Four sheds! That is some boasting.

I have one of these, combination is settable.

Reply to
Pancho

Go modern get four of these bluetooth ones only ~£90 each !

whisky-dave

We have these:

two padlocks, one on each of two bolts with a single key operating both. Only one shed though.

Reply to
Andrew May

You can get sets of padlocks that have the same key.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No suggestions for padlocks, but remember that if your shed is made of wooden boarding, the scrotes can just lever off a few panels and gain access that way, regardless of how well padlocked the door is. The moral is never keep anything valuable in your shed(s).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I got mine from Ironmongery Direct. Quite a range.

I also have shed alarms. Not cheap, but look for a company called UltraSecure. They use 3G to ring the house phones (in our case with a special cadence) and tell us which shed is under attack.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Look for padlocks "Keyed Alike". Screwfix used to have sets of 6, I use these on yard gate, tack room, hay store, and tool store at our horse yard. They also came with two or three keys each, so plenty of spares to share if required.

Whether you want same or different key/code depends on the value of contents plus risk of compromise.

It was also handy to know the magic term when I had to replace one of the two locks on my car "top box". Much less hassle than fumbling with multiple keys.

Reply to
newshound

snipped-for-privacy@cad-plan.co.uk formulated the question :

Something like the Arrone AR/D-195MC range?

You can set the code to suit yourself and all the same.

Or design a powered latch release, released by buttons, located in a secure location.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Careful with that Gallium ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well in the past you used to be able to get packs of padlocks with the same keys. I recall seeing them arrive in the factory where I worked. Chubb comes to mind, but I guess others do it as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One does have to be a little careful with some combination locks, as a gentle pull can allow one to feel the tiny click inside as each lever operates. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are these garden sheds and how sturdy are they? If a thief wants to get into a shed they will just kick in a panel rather than mess around with the door and a lock. Alternatively they will just bring a large wreaking bar. It is a mistake to assume that a thief cares about looking after the state of your property.

Reply to
alan_m

My elderly mother currently requires someone to come around morning and evening to help with washing and dressing (she had a fall and broke here arm and shoulder). The NHS provide an upto 6 week "free" rehabilitation service which is followed up with a means tested social services provision. She has a key safe by the front door.

Both the NHS and social services supervisors who visited to explain the services strongly recommended not using your birth year as the a combination that is easy to remember. Too many people have 19xx as a four digit combination.

They also indicated that too may people only scramble the last digit on the rotary type combination locks and all their staff are told to scramble all digits when replacing a key.

From experience, on some of the press key locks it doesn't matter which order you press the 4 keys so if your code is 19xy pressing x1y9 will also gain entry. If a press key lock is used a lot the keys with most grime on them or the keys with the digits that are most worm will be the code!

Reply to
alan_m

Andy Burns

I remember bike locks circa the 1970s suffering this problem.

Modern combination locks seem much less open to this type of crack. I tried on the two I have and could not feel anything significant.

Reply to
Pancho

My shed has a Squire combination bolt and I can't feel the 'tightest' cylinder. Actually, this might be because my fingers and thumbs are too big to rotate one cylinder when I grip hard. Next door's back gate had a cheap bike lock and that was easy - had to take it off when a cylider got out of synch. Soon put that right - it was easy to hold the notch and turn the outer ring.

Reply to
PeterC

And the second moral is to be careful when increasing the level of security. Installing a single fancy high security lock may have a scrote thinking "If it requires that much protection, there must be something worth stealing in there".

Reply to
John Kenyon

Are these sheds off grid? If so how are they powered?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, quite a lot of the mechanical ones. Only serves to confuse the users:

Jim: Oy, Fred what's the code for the door? Fred: 4528. Jim: You sure, I thought it was 8254? Les: You're both wrong. It's 2854.

Or the shiny buttons. Electronic ones have fixed number order but I have seen, once, an electronic keypad that moved the numbers about the buttons for each code entry sequence.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice