Keyed alike padlocks

I came across the concept of keyed alike padlocks today. This could be relevant to me as I may require four padlocks. Having the same key for them all could be very useful. However, I am wondering if the security is compromised?

Is the range of keys limited, making it more likely person A's key will fit person B's padlock? Is it possible to tell from looking at the padlock what key will fit?

Reply to
Scott

There is no reason why having four padlocks on one key should make them less secure. If they were on different keys with a master then they could be less secure. You can get padlocks with ABS keys and have the same key for the house as well if you have euro locks.

Reply to
dennis

Okay thanks. My thought was if the shop has 50 of them in stock, and it's a local shop, how do you know the other 46 won't go to other customers who will then have the same key as I have? Or am I missing something?

Reply to
Scott

No, this can happen, presumably only with cheap & cheerful locks.

You can look at the keys, and see if they look alike, if it's locks and keys visible in a blister pack.

Or order them from the internet, direct from China, or otherwise, which makes the "local" part less so (ideally to an address different form the one where they will be used).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I think you are confusing keyed alike with one key fits all.

Keyed alike padlock from a shop usually come in a set of X number of padlocks, which share the same key as each other, but which are different from those for other sets. If you need more padlocks with the same key, you then need to order them from the manufacturer, quoting the key number.

A locksmith can make up as many padlocks as you want to your specific requirements and, as Dennis says, can also make them to use the same key as other Euro locks or, alternatively, other Yale type cylinder locks.

Reply to
Nightjar

Another option would be to use combination locks, but sometimes you can feel the corect combination so can 'break in'

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thanks. I spoke to the locksmith this morning. He says it is a combination of both. The manufacturers split batches to different parts of the country. The locksmith orders padlocks on demand. There are many types of padlock. He suggests this is enough of a randomisation to make it highly unlikely someone else living locally will receive the same key.

This is good enough for me.

Reply to
Scott

I don't remember but I used to have some from Chubb like this for some sheds, and nobody broke them.

I seem to recall most padlocks do have some little number somewhere, which may well tell people in the know what key you need. Most locks are only secure to a point after all, often its easier to just cut the hasp off the door.

Not that I do burglaries of course.

I always remember those combination bike chain lock things. A girl I knew could open them merely by listening as she trurned the wheels, so I strongly suspect that all any lock is is a deterent. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You will find it difficult to find a padlock that will stand-up to a battery angle grinder.

Reply to
dennis

Yes. Found in possession should be a criminal offence! I do wonder if laminating the lock and hasp with aluminium might clog the disc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That reminded me of when I started teaching in the 1960s in an outer London borough that had previously been part of Essex. I found that the key that was issued to me for my laboratory (school built 1924) was actually an Essex master key which could be used to open a whole range of pre war council buildings. Normally a teacher would be given the simplest key that just fitted the simplest lock fitted to classrooms. I found that mine would open all the different locks in the school including the "strong room", outside doors, head masters study etc. On one occasion I was meeting the Chief Education Officer at the town hall only to find him locked out and was able to let him in!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes