Padlocks often difficult to open

At our allotment we are now on our second Yale Combination padlock. Its the very common one, Model Number Y160. Their behaviour is the same: just jamming up and only opening with a huge effort.

3in1 oil does not work. Can anything be done with them ?
Reply to
john west

Claims to be waterproof but really sounds like it isn't. £13 is pretty cheap, I guess it will be Chinese and not likely to be the best materials. I've found the Squire 4 dial padlocks at about twice the price to be pretty reliable.

I use keyed alike padlocks at our stables and so usually have a spare or two. If one goes sticky, I put in a spare and flush out rust/dirt with WD40 or similar and then submerge the lock in ordinary engine or gear oil for a few days, that usually gives them a new lease of life.

I have a magnificent bronze Yale keyed padlock on my workshop. This looked pretty old when I bought the house 33 years ago, and it still looks much the same. I don't think I've ever needed to lubricate it. (It gets wet when the wind is in the wrong direction).

Reply to
newshound

Graphite in one of the little squeeze bottles works fine.

Much better than oil because it doesn't attract dirt.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

wd40

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I bought some of that but soon went back to wd40

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

don't waste your money

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Never use oil on padlocks. Graphite powder is the only possible lubricant.

Reply to
charles

I never went back to WD40 and kept using the graphite and it worked fine every time.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

you must have more money than sense....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

bollox

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I think he's talking about the shackle rather than the lock. I've never got graphite to work on those.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mmm should I trust a pukkagen locksmith who is not trying to sell graphite powder or a random know-it-all from the internet, decisions decisions.

Oh and for the benefit of some others in the thread WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

Reply to
soup

For the benefit of some others in the thread, WD-40 is not ONLY a lubricant.

Ian Jackson

"The tumblers also became very stiff to turn after exposure to the first rain shower and a few weeks later the combination setting disc mechanism jammed solid."

The reviews do not speak highly of the item.

Maybe even oil can't save it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

easy decision....

don't care what it is it works and has made my fan belt last 120,000 miles so far

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Yip...special blend of lubricants doesn't rot rubber either ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

perhaps some know alls know better than you ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Padlock on your fan belt?

Reply to
charles

don't be silly

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

While graphite alone is always recommended by locksmiths for that (very good) reason, in my experience it is fine in completely dry environments, but it doesn't work for padlocks that can get rained on.

Reply to
newshound