The kitchen sink ...

Why are kitchen sinks usually in front of a window...is it because kitchens used to attract a 2% daylight factor...is it because lead plumbing to external cast iron drain pipes was shorter...is it because daylight has a sanitising effect...is it because surfaces dry off quicker...is it because when a wummin is doing the dishes they could look out to their weans playing...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

The last might be a factor (and sinks used to be used for more than dishes) but I suspect it dates from the times when lighting was expensive.

Reply to
newshound

thanks rod for puting me right on all that ,,,,

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I believe historically a lot of time was spent at the kitchen sink. So it made sense to see the outside rather than a blank wall.

In much the same way I choose my monitors to be positioned such I can see the rest of the office rather than a wall. It also helps to exercise my eyes.

Reply to
Fredxx