Padlocks often difficult to open

This is for mortise locks in doors.

Actually, it is. It contains a propellant, a thin hydrocarbon that provides water-repellancy and also dissolves sticky deposits, and a small amount of heavier mineral oil.

Reply to
newshound

No, it's mineral oils so it will cause natural rubber and SBR to swell (rather than rot). Nitrile is immune.

Reply to
newshound

My thoughts too. That link gives six of them for $20!

Reply to
newshound

Worked fine for me every time.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Costs peanuts and that squeeze bottle lasts forever and WD40 costs more anyway because you have to keep using it.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Mine tend to be filled with grease. Not for lubrication but a protection against *politely advised* trespassers coming back with some superglue!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Jim what exactly is the action on a fan belt that makes it last longer ? i once saw a mechanic give one squirt of wd40 on a fan belt to stop it squeaking.

Reply to
john west

bollox

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Most DIYers usually have a can of WD40 secreted somewhere about their person, so it surely makes sense to use it (even if you do have to give 'something that needs doing' a very occasional quick top-up squirt)?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The propellant has probably changed since the '80s, but a misdirected squirt of WD40 crazed spoke-mounted* reflectors - possibly polycarbonate(?) - actually, could have been polystyrene, as that would be easy to damage with a freon.

*No, not a spoke reflector - didn't need them, already had 76 spokes in the wheels.
Reply to
PeterC

I once tried to 'wash' a nailbrush (which I had been using for cleaning something greasy) in white spirit. The handle (polycarbonate, I'm sure) immediately crazed, then it all disintegrated into loads of small pieces before my eyes.

However, I can't recall WD40 doing any obvious harm to anything I've used it on.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Never seen anything that dramatic, but "environmental stress cracking" is a well known issue for many polymers.

newshound

If the problem is rust in the mechanism then graphite power is unlikely to make any difference. The OP indicated allotment use and a padlock design possibly not suited to even keeping a minium of water out of the mechanism. The brass case and shackle may be rust free but what about the inner wheels and spring?

alan_m

I bet these cheap Yales contain steel

See above

Reply to