how to open driveway sealer can?

Is there a trick to open a driveway sealer 5-gal can, or just brute force ( of which I have little...) lifting the rim a little bit all the way around the can? I see screwdriver slots around the rim but have no idea how those are suppo sed to help remove the cover. (If all else fails, I was thinking of just d rilling a circle of holes around the perimeter of the lid on top, and then snapping off this circle since the lid will not be needed after the can is empty.) Thanks.

Reply to
rachelms79

(of which I have little...) lifting the rim a little bit all the way aroun d the can?

posed to help remove the cover. (If all else fails, I was thinking of just drilling a circle of holes around the perimeter of the lid on top, and the n snapping off this circle since the lid will not be needed after the can i s empty.) Thanks.

I use a large screwdriver, holding it pointing downwards and putting the ti p in one of the slotted tabs around the edge of the lid. Then I pull the ha ndle back towards the center of the can, using the edge of the lid as a ful crum. This pulls the tab away from the can. Then on to the next tab, then t he one after that, and so on, until all the tabs are pulled away from the c an. The lid should then lift off.

Reply to
Pavel314

i cut the strip at the bttom of the lid with diagionals, then bend the lid up to remove. instructions should be on the label

Reply to
bob haller

(of which I have little...) lifting the rim a little bit all the way aroun d the can? I see screwdriver slots around the rim but have no idea how thos e are supposed to help remove the cover. (If all else fails, I was thinking of just drilling a circle of holes around the perimeter of the lid on top, and then snapping off this circle since the lid will not be needed after t he can is empty.) Thanks.

Pavel is right if it is a metal cover with 20+ tabs around the perimeter.

If it is a plastic bucket style, then there is a tab you cut and then rip a band off around the top, the lower part of the cover. This is the more co mmon method of operation in my Chicago suburbs, but I have seen a couple of metal cans in past years.

Reply to
hrhofmann

ce (of which I have little...) lifting the rim a little bit all the way aro und the can? I see screwdriver slots around the rim but have no idea how th ose are supposed to help remove the cover. (If all else fails, I was thinki ng of just drilling a circle of holes around the perimeter of the lid on to p, and then snapping off this circle since the lid will not be needed after the can is empty.) Thanks.

a band off around the top, the lower part of the cover. This is the more common method of operation in my Chicago suburbs, but I have seen a couple of metal cans in past years.

IMHO it's unacceptable to make a customer go through all these hoops to ope n a can of product he paid good hard money for! I would get on to the manu facturer and let them know what you think!

(Here's one on myself; just went through same thing with a bottle of Pinot Grigio from Trader Joe. Couldn't scrape off foil; couldn't get Opener into cork through foil; all it did was plow a sharp little crater. Before I st abbed myself to death with various implements used to try & remove foil, I took a deep breath & realized THIS WAS A SCREW-OFF TOP! Some people are ju st a little slow...)

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What if it starts to rain before you finish the can?

What if your buddy calls with tickets to the game that day?

What Pavel said.

Reply to
micky

They make bucket openers for standard 5-gal lids, but I haven't seen them at a big box. Maybe try a paint store?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Probably because a pro needs such conveniences. If this is is first can, he'll probably not be using many and he can get along with a screwdriver, instead of buying every attachment for sale.

OT but it reminds me: My best friend's younger brother, when he was about 22, came to stay with me in Brooklyn, NY, to look for a job, etc. His first day out he returned without any job prospects, but a bunch of small unneeded camera accessories, like a mirror that goes between the camera and the lens, to look around corners. or to take sneak pictures.

Of course he's 60 now and he's doing much better. (I havent' seen him since now and then or I'd probably have forgotten this story.)

Reply to
micky

orce (of which I have little...) lifting the rim a little bit all the way a round the can?

supposed to help remove the cover. (If all else fails, I was thinking of just drilling a circle of holes around the perimeter of the lid on top, and then snapping off this circle since the lid will not be needed after the c an is empty.)

The military went with this concept big-time. Presumably saved a lot of ou r (and their?) guys who didn't have to expose themselves to shoot around co rners.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson