Driveway Sealant in Smaller Containers?

I would like to seal my driveway before next winter but there is no way I can lift a 5 gallon container of the stuff. I am wondering if anyone here knows where I can obtain driveway sealant in smaller containers, probably 2 gallons max., as the most I should be lifting is 30 pounds? I realize I'll pay more for the same quantity in smaller containers, but it's still much cheaper than back surgery.

Note that I'm located in southern NH.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

Reply to
Sun Chaser

Larry, if you're too weak to lift the containers, you're going to collapse on the job. Head for the gym. Weight training works wonders. I lifted in my teens which carried me into my 50s when I started again. I got much stronger the second time. Now I'm maintaining with running and swimming in my late 60s.

Lifting a few 5 gallon containers, no problem, bring it on.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Amazon had some. I didn't spend much time checking the details.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I don't know where to get the sealer but if you'll go to Massachusetts, I can get you back surgery for 60% off.

Reply to
micky

Strap the bucket to a hand truck.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Go to the drycleaner at Adams and Quincy in Springfied, Mass.

Then go around to the back and ask for Dr. Jones. He'll take good care of you.

Reply to
micky

Never saw it in smaller containers. Since you are prepared to pay more, why not pay for help? Teenaged boy neighbor can load them, then unload them and space them out in the driveway for you.

Cut costs even more if the store will load them for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good on you, mate! (As the Aussies would say) Glad to hear you're an in-shape senior. Please don't take this as a slam, just a reminder that there are some people beyond weight training.

Since my wife works with disabled vets when I hear of a "lifting limit" like the OP stated I think spinal cord injury. Lots of people with rods, screws or other medical hardware in their back are extremely limited in what they can lift. Anything they carry puts that weight directly on the spine unless a special back brace is worn that redistributes the load to the hips. Not knowing the OP's medical condition, I would be hesitant to venture any more advice than what he asked for:

Robert Green

Well, I felt someone should say it. If the OP doesn't have any medical conditions and isn't really old, the message is, you're never too old to get yourself in shape.

I believe we're talking about less than 50 pounds.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You failed at saving face. You knew nothing about the OP to suggest that he go to a gym.

Yes, and like you, every adult in the world should be able to lift 50 lbs?

Reply to
willshak

I was looking at driveway sealer at lowes yesterday. Sign says these materials are heavy, we will be happy to move them for you.....

get a teenager to help unload and seal.

Reply to
bob haller

If you want to drive down to Worcester, there is a local Sealmaster office that may sell you sealant in any quanty you care to purchase. For best results it needs to go on heated though - may be too far to drive. You can also rent a tank trailer from them - no lifting required, although I'd suggest that if lifting more than 2 pounds is a problem, you may not be up to spreading gallons around a driveway.

Arthur Conan Doyle

At sherwin-williams

Reply to
Hot-Text

Home-D load them for free all he needed to pay a neighbor boy unload them

Reply to
Hot-Text

lowes sell 2 gallon pails of driveway sealer, i was shopping for my driveway sealer today..

Reply to
bob haller

I'm in my 70s and can easily lift 200 lbs but my back is iffy and could go out if I do something at a bad angle.

One year, doing the same job I just called over a son to help. He poured. I spread.

Then I got asphalt drive resurfaced and hired the installer to seal it for $300. Figured at time, it would have cost me maybe $125 for sealant.

His job was adequate but not as good as expected so I redid it myself with no help 2 years later.

Like I said, back can go in and out. My younger brother is seeing a surgeon about his next week. I would not discount OT's comments.

Reply to
Frank

That's unknown to us and his mention of specific lifting limit tells me that a doctor prescribed that limitation. People *usually* don't conjur up a specific "load limit" on their own.

Jim Fixx found out otherwise. Lots of seniors get into trouble deciding to begin exercising without medical advice. But the advice is good advice in general since so many seniors are overweight and out-of-shape. Hey, I thought you were a 30 year old "kid" so you must be doing something right! (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

Wow, so many people upset.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm surrounded by people that won't exercise and are proud of it. They have something hard to do like mow their lawn and they hire someone to do it.

Yes, the OP may very well have a medical condition. He didn't say. If he does, then he knows that he should follow a doctors advice, not some random person on the internet.

Take my advice or ignore it. I'm just here to tell _some_ of you, you don't have to get weaker as you get older. I'm a normal sized person (5' 9") getting on in years and I can lift 5 gallon buckets and more. I could probably dead lift 200 lbs like another poster but I'm guessing that would be close to my limit.

There is nothing more important than saying healthy. I think doing hard work is an essential part of life and being healthy. I don't have to, I program computers for a living but I seek out hard jobs and enjoy getting dog tired.

I heartily recommend hard work, and my guess is I'm not alone in AHR.

Reply to
Dan Espen