DIY stair lift install

I am considering installing a stair lift for a family member.

All I know at present, is there is a working lift on a similar staircase at another property that is no longer required.

Has anyone done this, any safety considerations that may not be obvious to me?

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. expressed precisely :

Easiest to fit and most common and the most likely one you will find second hand, is one for a straight stair, but the length will have to match.

The chairs are incredibly heavy, but installation of a straight track, fixing to the wooden steps is very easy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I did it.

Photograph the whole thing in minute detail, both mechanical and electrical details.

Prepare the new location. Mains socket needed. Landing has to be OK. Remove banister if it's in the way, also windowcills, curtains, wall-mounted pictures, etc. Check the staircase is solid enough for the rail's feet.

It's quite an easy job if you plan it carefully.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yup done it. If its the right size / shape etc, then its pretty straight forward. Fit the brackets, attach the track, wind the chair onto the rails, and wire it all up. Modern ones have battery powered chairs with built in chargers. They normally insist on a RCD protected supply.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like it could be a useful thing to have on the wiki if anyone has any photos etc. Alas the one I did I did not take any.

Indeed.

Reply to
John Rumm

I removed a fancy curvy one which was quite hard work. One think that was useful to make was a "manual winding tool" bit to fit into a cordless drill. You are likely to have to wind off and wind on by hand, which takes ages with the standard tool.

Reply to
newshound

That's basically what dad did, buy the neighbour's stairlift when he moved ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes my stairs having a right angle in about three steps would be quite challenging since apparently the device needs to have some kind of swivel and lockable gates. I'd imagine much like a lift fitted to a property for carrying humans, there are some standards and inspections needed for it to be approved. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Be careful to check the 'available' one isn't rented. Someone I know mentioned they were having one installed for their parents and they were planning to rent - they had looked at the numbers and thought, allowing for maintenance etc, it was a good deal.

Reply to
Brian Reay