Woodpecker Unilift Router Lift

Does anyone have any first hand experience installing and using the Woodpecker Unilift Router lift, especially with a Fein RT1800 router? If anyone out there has any experience with other models of heavy routers with the Unilift I would appreciate your input, both pros and cons, as well. Thanks.

Reply to
Martie in MO

This is not an answer to your question but..... If you can return that Unilift you can buy a router for about the same amount of money that has the router lifting feature built in and have an extra router instead of $300 invested in just a lift.

Look at Milwaukee, Delta, Bosch, Triton, PC. Most all these brands have a model with a built in course and fine height adjustment control.

Reply to
Leon

I have the Unilift but it is used with a Bosch 1617EVS router.

Looking at the way the Unilift is built, I would not hesitate to use it with a heavy router. I would have more concern with my MDF router table top sagging over time.

I am able to get the high adjustment accuracy I wanted from above the table. The lift locks in place with a 1/4 turn of a screw. Other models claim to be self locking.

With my particular router I loose about 3/8in of max bit height. Other than this I have been very pleased.

If you do not already own your Fein RT1800 router, there are more models of router which now accomodate above the table height adjustment.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, returning the router is not an option as I have had it for about 4 or 5 years now. I bought it primarily with the itention of using it with a router table but also as a portable router that can handle heavy jobs. I didn't want the inflexibity of a stationary shaper. It's packs a lot of power and I like the variable speed capability. I'm a little dismayed that router lift manufacturers haven't included Fein routers in their designs any more than they have. Still, I'm hopeful that other manufactures beside Woodpecker will include Fein in future designs giving me additional options.

Reply to
Martie in MO

Thanks for your comments Dave. I do own this router. From what I have found on the Web, Woodpecker is the only manufacturer of a lift that fits my RT1800. I'm going to delay a buy decision until I can see one of the lifts firsthand. Lifts are cheap so I don't want to lay out some denero before I know if it fills the bill. Tool manufacturers are constantly coming up with new innovations, such as the collet extension that have recently hit the market place. Have you considered one of these to compensate for the lose of height you mentioned? Maybe additional lift choices are not too far down the road. If not, I may have to get creative.

Reply to
Martie in MO

I was suggesting you return the router lift not the router.

You can buy a router for the price of the lift that will not need a lift. then you will have an extra router for about the same price.

Reply to
Leon

The collet extensions are a bad idea. No matter how well they are balanced (and they likly aren't), they will induce whip and be hard on your bearings.

Reply to
CW