Deck Question Re "Restore" Product By Rust Oleum ?

Hello,

Anyone use that heavy paint-like "Restore" coating product by RustOleum ?

Have a quite old pressure treated wood Deck. Live in New England.

Would appreciate any opinions on, and in particular the pros and cons.

Does it make (any) sense, or just have new wood put down, etc. ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Last year I replaced the PT decking material with Tiger Wood. Pricey, but it is what I wanted, looks very classy. It was about $43 a board and I needed 25 for a 12 x 16 deck.

. The stairs though are in need of an upgrade. I'm thinking Restore may be just the thing. If I was not replacing the decking and wanted a repaired surface, it looks easy enough.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't have any direct experience, but I did read some reviews a while back. DAGS and read what others have to say.

As I recall, most users were satisfied with the final results but the vast majority of the reviews indicated that the coverage indicated on the container was, shall we say, a bit exaggerated. IIRC people were getting about half the coverage predicted, but check it out for yourself, I could be exaggerating too. ;-)

I do recall one reviewer saying that she thinned her's out to make it easier to apply and to get more coverage, but it was too recent an application for her to say if she shortened it's lifespan by thinning it. At a minimum, I'm sure she voided some kind of warranty.

My own gut feeling is that any coating put on top of wood that will be exposed to the extremes of New England weather isn't going to last as long as the wood itself and once it starts to fade/peel/crack or whatever it's going to do, I'm going to hate looking at it.

Standard Dennis Miller disclaimer applies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I saw the commercial I got wondering if it could be applied over worn shingles to eek out a few more years before reroofing

Reply to
bob haller