Carpentry Question: Roof over deck (aka porch).

It's really not a big deal to have the posts support the deck framing and the roof, and, as you noted, it's the easiest way to tie the roof down.

When you place the concrete in your sonotubes stick in an anchor bolt, then use one of the adjustable post bases. They have an oblong hole that allows you to slide it around until it's lined up. Then tighten the nut. Check the Simpson Strongtie web site for the specifics.

I like to notch out the posts a bit to accept the deck beam - one on either side of the post - and the whole shebang is through-bolted.

RicodJour

Hi everyone,

I'm about to build a 8x12 porch onto my house. Simply a deck very close to ground with a roof over it. My question has to do with exactly where to put the posts that support the front edge of the roof (back goes into existing roof). The deck frame will sit very close to the ground, 12 to 20 inches, and be supported by 3 cement footers (sonotubes) and a ledger-board.

My first thought is to run the posts right down to the cement and use anchors of some sort. Build the deck frame around that. This way, the roof is independent of the deck, and anchored against upward forces such as wind. Disadvantage is that I've got to get my footings exactly in the right spot for the roof posts. Am I capable of getting that perfect I wonder to myself.

I've spent the last few months looking at other porches, porch repairs and new construction and it looks like the decks are built first, then the posts come down and sit on the deck framing? This certainly would make any small placement adjustments with the posts easier, and the deck framing would be sitting right on the cement below the posts. But, would the posts be anchored properly this way?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

-Jeff

Reply to
John

Your footings need to be accurately placed anyway (I just finished a deck project myself). You just lay everything out with layout strings ahead of time. Any good deck book will step you through this process.

I'd personally want to run the roof supports down to the concrete, not to the decking, but I like to overengineer...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer