OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good quality.

I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.

I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.

My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock says TSA0007.

I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you could end up with a broken lock.

Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Don't lock the case

Reply to
fred

If there is no number its pre-TSA and if in the USA or transiting they WILL force the locks, if you lock it. If you don't lock it its likely its contents will dissappear. So just like you XP computer that still works, its time to upgrade.

Never had that problem with mine.

They usually wrap it up again, but most of the pre-tsa locks can be opened with a suitcase.

They have a ring. We have copies I believe because some one posted a picture. This shows the futility of putting "back doors" in security system. Just google TSA Key in goolgle images.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I thought this was why most border points X-rayed cases?

What is the point in having a secure case if anyone from a border point might be able to open it and nick stuff? I don't get it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't get most things about USA border and customs, but it is what it is. Try and enter the USA with a case with a non TSA lock and its a red rag to a bull...=

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I have 2 hardshell cases that you cant fit TSA locks to ....both have had latches broken open (and ruined) by TSA Nice piece of paper found inside advising they opened the case, its their right, and I should not lock it. You can't claim for the damage.

Great idea to leave cases unlocked for baggage handler thieves.

Reply to
rick

I have had cases forced open in San Francisco and Dallas .... ruined the case, was held together by Gaffa tape when it arrived back to me.

Reply to
rick

Put a luggage strap around it. The TSA can open it, but it ought to make the thieves go for an easier target.

FWIW in all my years of flying for work I've never had the TSA or a thief open a case <fx touch wood>. I have had one wrecked by the baggage handlers - and annoyingly the airline replaced a bright red with chrome corners easy to spot case with a plain black one - and one day where someone took the wrong case. The plain black one like a million others. Leaving their own on the carousel. I got mine back next day.

I've now got a whipping around the handle to discourage a repeat.

not anything to do with punishment!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Friends of mine took that advice.

TSA _cut_ the straps off.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Firts time I flew to the states and didn't realize I needed TSA locks my case was forced.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade