Coded door locks

Hi all

Thinking of fitting a mechanical version which would work like a yale to the wooden front door

So the door will be locked whenever it shuts

Does not need to be ultra high spec as when we go out or lock up for the night we will set the keyed mortice locks

Main purpose is to stop escape of grandchild as we are not in the habit of locking ourselves in during the day so likely to forget when he is with us

Any recommendations as to type source etc

Also what does code free mean and how easy are the codes to set/change

(I have read about some on google and they talk about tumblers and tweezers)

Reply to
TMC

free means that you can set a catch which bypasses the code function (i.e. the handle operates without entering the code). for night-time/unattended operation, release the catch and then you have to put the code in to open from the secure side.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I guess that is what rules out an ordinary bolt or chain out of reach of grandchild then?

I was going to say that one could always mount an ordinary latch lock high up and not bother with the cylinder but if the door closed without the latch being locked open...

Which sort of raises a query in my mind about this code lock I guess they fit the standard square shaft on a mortice lock or latch. Bear in mind if you fitted one of these, presumably on the inside, you would have to enter the code every time you wanted to open the door, even when grandchild isn't present...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you mean the sort of thing where you have to press a series of buttons on the outside in order to gain entry?

If so, have a look at the 900 Series, here:

come with a range of options, and it's relatively easy to change the code - by removing a cap with an Allen key and holding a catch down while you punch in your new combination.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Assuming that the door opens inwards, the key is inserted from outside & you have a handle that turns on the inside?

So asuming the door opens inwards, you want the combination buttons on the inside? Which means you have a handle outside? Might look a bit odd & anyone could open the door from the outside.

Thats the only type I've seen/fitted.

You will need a door closer as well then. If you can't remember to set the 'snib', you won't remember to shut the door.

I've fitted quite a few of these

good quality, easy to fit. Come with a template & good instructions.

No idea what code free means

Much easier than it sounds, nothing to worry about. You remove a backplate via 4 screws and see 10 little 'keys'. These are colour coded - red ones set the code, blue ones don't.

In a new lock you might see 4 red keys in positions 1, 2 ,3 ,4 so the combination would be 1234 or 2143 or 4312 etc - any combo of the 4 numbers works, but you can only use each number once.

To set the code to say 6789 you simply swap red & blue 'keys' using the supplied tweezers, so that the red keys are in positions 6, 7, 8 & 9. Eack 'key' has a notch cut into one side, that has to face towards to outside of the lock. Thats about it, takes 2/3 mins to do.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. They are designed and made for the North American market and are proprietary, except for the ones that interface to a night-latch which have (afaik) a "standard" flat bar.

Bear

That's what code-free is for - when the grandchild is not there you can set the lock so you don't have to enter the code (rather like leaving a sash lock unlocked).

Reply to
Dave Osborne

set/change

I've fitted several of these locks on outbuildings arround the farm. They are a godsend as you don't have to carry a bunch of keys, however they are not the most secure or robust lock in the world. You do need extra mortice locks for night time. The four I've fitted all came from Screwfix and there are two varieties : The first style needs little toggle things placing in the right place with tweezers and the second they can be set by hand, however both types need the lock taking off the door to set.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I can see that I did not explain clearly however

Front door currently has a mortice lock and door handle low enough for child to reach

Also has a second mortice lock lower down

And a safety chain

We use the front door most of the time as there are large secure gates to the side of the house

I was looking at the push buttton lock fitted in the conventional manner with the buttons on the outside set at a similar height to where one would fit a yale lock so that the door would by default be locked but could always be opened from the outside without a key

This arrangement would prevent the 2 year old chairman of the escape committee doing a runner and would also prevent him from shutting the door when I have gone out to the car etc and locking either me or both of us out

Reply to
TMC

guess

That's a bit of PITA. I'd expect either square or flat only not something proprietary and designed for use in another country. "Not fit for purpose" springs to mind...

door,

Ah, useful bit of information that. Filed away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I'm assuming that the OP wants to use one of these code locks to replace the interior handle on the mortice lock that is already fitted. That would have a handle on the outside and unless the lock is locked that exterior handle would open the door. Not every body has to have their doors locked 24/7 to keep the tea leaves out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In that case, buy the one Dave has suggested from Toolstation and be done with it.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

er.. I'm no mathematician. How many possible codes does that give?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are ten possible positions in which you can put the first red key, then 9, 8, 7 possibilities for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th key. So there are 5040 possible codes, or there would be if the pressing order mattered.

There are 4x3x2=24 ways of ordering four items, so the actual number of possible codes is only 5040/24=210.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Since you can't use the same number twice I believe about 1,000. If you could it would be about 10,000.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Tim Lamb wrote

Not as many as you may think as it doesn't matter in which order you press the 4 buttons on your chosen code and you cannot use a number more than once in the same code.

Reply to
Alan

More than you think as it doesn't have to be four buttons.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" wrote

The more buttons you use the fewer the combinations on these types of locks. Secure is not a word that should be used when fitting these devices.

Reply to
Alan

But you can try all the four button codes and none will work if its set to use three, or five, etc.

You only have fewer code if you know how many digits are used.

Reply to
dennis

Hmm... Ta. Now what is the boredom threshold of some idle teenager?:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK, in that case it's 1023. It's 10 for 1 button, 45 for 2, and then the numbers go 120, 210, 252, 210, 120, 45, 10, 1.

Not quite. See above. First they go up, until you use half the buttons available, then they come down. The reason they come down is that, for example, pressing 6 buttons is the same as not pressing 4 buttons, which in turn is equivalent to pressing 4 buttons.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun