uPVC doors, locks, and a problem.

We have a nice uPVC front door. It's got the standard multipoint locking mechanism where you lift the door handle to engage the locking pins, then turn a key to actually "lock" the door.

Now on the old yale + mortice arrangement, it was possible to have a situation where if you went out, you could pull the door closed (Yale lock locked) and then turn the mortice key. This meant that anyone who only had a Yale key would be unable to get in. However, if you were in, and the mortice lock was unlocked (which for us was the normal state of affairs) then a Yale keyholder could get in.

Can anyone suggest a way to replicate this situation with a uPVC door lock ?

The reason is that my wife has a Telecare service, which can contact a keyholder, should she fall or become incapacitated, and I am not around (although I work from home, I do travel sometimes).

We've no nearby relations, so would like to have a neighbour have a key. However we don't like the idea they could get in when we're out.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How about a Key safe, something like this (Amazon) which you only leave a key in, whilst you're away?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

PVC doors bend, so single point locking isnt so secure on them. You can always fit a rim latch for low security times, but dont rely on it when out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just as well the doors bend if the multipoint lock mechanism breaks. Wouldn't be able to open the door otherwise

Reply to
stuart noble

Tempted to say that if you distrust them, then find somebody else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 09 May 2014, Andy Cap grunted:

ITYM, that you take the key out of when you're away?!

Reply to
Lobster

Isn't the idea exactly so they can get in when your out? With two locks, there is always the possibility they won't be able to get in when needed.

Reply to
harryagain

One of the keysafes used by, for example social services could work. Only let the neighbours know the combination when needed (i.e. they ring or text to find out). And change the combination when you get back.

Reply to
polygonum

No. He wants a helper to be able to get in to assist his wife when he's away. When he's at home, there's no requirement for a key - unless I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Reply to
Andy Cap

They never appear to be well made in my opinion. I have only used them when renting holiday accomodation and have been shocked to see they are made of that brittle die cast zinc alloy. They also have only a very small space inside. Would anyome care to recommend a good one in case I want to go down this route?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

This type

They have a couple of extra buttons so take longer to crack.

If you do fit one don't put it somewhere a scrote can hide while working on it.

They are strong enough, they are probably stronger than the door. If someone wants to take a hammer, etc. to it then they can just break the door.

Reply to
dennis

Spot on

Reply to