Locks for UPVC doors

We find our replacement UPVC front door excellent in every respect except one: the door lock mechanism operates as a deadlock only. We miss the self-locking Yale-style night latch plus separate mortice deadlock of the wooden door it replaced. It is a PITA having to fumble for a key every time.

Any suggestions please as to how to overcome this irritating problem?

Reply to
Frank le Spikkin

problem?

You should be grateful - I have locked myself out recently because my uPVC door self locked, it cost me over £250 to get back in again. I have enquired about doing the opposite of what you want and have just a deadlock, however (for me) the cost is prohibitive as I was quoted £270 as the whole locking mechanism has to be replaced. What you can do though is replace your euro lock (if that is what you have) for one that has a turn knob on the inside, that way you don't need to find keys to engage the deadlock.

Angela

Reply to
Angela

"Angela" wrote in news:bvji72$qgh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.freedomsurf.net:

I won't argue over the two options; it's a matter of preference for which is the greater risk: in my case it is someone forgetting to lock up versus yours which is of locking oneself out.

It sounds like access to DIY information and sources of components at realistic prices would be helpful to both of us.

Are there any experts out there who can advise?

Reply to
Frank le Spikkin

I suspect a PVC door isn't strong enough with a night latch - the normal locks tend to secure at top and bottom rather than just middle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What you are looking for, a mechanism incorporating slam latch, mortice deadbolt, and shoot bolts, is a standard fitting on MOST pvcU replacement doors. If yours has only a mortice deadbolt then it is unusual.

You can change it, but you will probably need a complete mechanism and lock-set. You will find some examples at

and should be able to get something locally.

Reply to
Ziggur

Dave Plowman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

Yes, it's pretty obvious that a standard Yale-type latch wouldn't be the right answer. It's the *functionality* of said latch I'm after. BTW: the main lock is a multipoint eurolock setup.

I looks like the best option is to replace the existing lock unit with something that does this: "...Fastlock option provides simultaneous deadlocking of centre, upper and lower locking points by simply lifting the handle..."

Reply to
Frank le Spikkin

Was this from the firm that installed it ?. You might have cheaper results from an independent firm. Around here (Worcs) we have a guy called the 'Double Glazing Doctor' does all the jobs the big firms don't want to do or charge too much for.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton