Modern locks are a pest

What happened to the good old mortice lock where you didn't have to do a dance with the doorhandle to get the key to turn?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've found that's the case only with very cheap locksets. Have it replaced with a better lock.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I've found it with everybody's lock. To lock the door (or is it unlock, I can never remember which [1]), the handle has to be lifted first, as the key doesn't have enough torque to move all 7 latches.

[1] That's the problem, if you forget which, you break the key or mechanism.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have two types of locksets on my house.

The front door has a deadbolt that is separate from the thumb latch:

We installed that when we replaced the door about 10 years ago.

The back door has this:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Both links are the same.

However, it's a sensible one, a single bolt into the frame. It's the ones with 7 all around the door which require a lot of force to lock and unlock, which you cannot provide with the key, so you have to remember how to operate the handle to assist it. And if anyone else tries to use your door, they end up breaking it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sorry. ctrl-c didn't work one of those times and I didn't notice.

7 all around the door? Do you have a picture of that?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You get that too? I've noticed lately (newer Windows?) that copy sometimes just doesn't. When I looked it up, it happens to many people. Sometimes the computer just doesn't bother. It can be quite embarrassing when you paste something into a live conversation in a chatroom which was not what you meant to, but a previous copy!

It's common in the UK, and I assumed everywhere. In fact my link is to an American company. This is a 3 point. I can't find a picture of a 7 point, although most are now 7 point here.

Commander Kinsey

It never occurred to me that the key *might* move the latches, to even think of trying it. I thought latches were *only* moved in and out by the handle, and the key released a lock that allowed the handle to move, with an interlock that won't allow the key to lock the handle unless the handle has first been used to lock the latches.

It's a little more complicated that a mortice lock, but once you've had it demonstrated to you or you've read the instructions, that knowledge can be used for every modern lock that you might encounter.

Reply to
NY

If you're using a key-in-the-knob lock, you might as well just leave it unlocked so if a burglar wants to get in, he won't damage your door, jamb, or the knob.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp> wrote

Those with a clue stopped installing them because they are very easy to break into.

Now you can get electronic locks that are impossible to break into and don't use a key at all and so are just as easy to use as the old mortise locks and completely secure and you can allow say trades people or delivery monkeys to open the door and leave stuff inside too.

Not cheap tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then you need to get out more, as always.

Only with cheap shit locks, as Cindy rightly says.

Only with cheap shit locks, as Cindy rightly says.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I fitted one myself for £22.

But they aren't any more secure. The security is measured by how hard it is to force the door open. That depends on the number of bolts going into the frame, not whether they're electronic or not.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Probably about 100 of them were like that, and 5 not (which were all older doors). Of course this is the UK, there may be different ones sold in other countries.

There is no way a key, or your fingers, could move 7 bolts, that has to be done by the handle.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not with a well designed system.

A well designed system makes that obvious so you don't have to remember that.

Not with a well designed unbreakable system.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That one isnt impossible to break into.

The best ones are.

Its trivial to ensure that that is impossible.

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It isn't the lock or any of the other things that bother you, it's you. You are incompatible with normal existence.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Only because you only get to use those on council sink estates.

It's a pig ignorant lie with the UK.

Wrong with a well designed one with enough mechanical advantage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Spending much money on a door lock is useless in most homes. I guess that if you live several floors up in an apartment where there is only one or two solid doors you could put on a good lock.

With all the windows most homes have, just bust out a window and come on in. Even worse is that the doors in my house have glass in them that could be broken out very easy and the lock turned.

The main think I think locks are good for is for those just passing by and try a door. They also show that someone had to break in the house for insurance. It might also creat a noise that may wake someone up if glass is broken.

The way I look at it is to just have good insurance. Maybe sleep with a gun near by. However as someone pointed out, now many are robbed during the day when no one is at home.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Doesn't work with barred windows.

Trivially fixed.