Modern locks are a pest

What happened to the good old mortice lock where you didn't have to do a dance with the doorhandle to get the key to turn?

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:13:48 AM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I've found that's the case only with very cheap locksets. Have it replaced with a better lock.
Cindy Hamilton

I've found it with everybody's lock. To lock the door (or is it unlock, I can never remember which [1]), the handle has to be lifted first, as the key doesn't have enough torque to move all 7 latches.
[1] That's the problem, if you forget which, you break the key or mechanism.
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:20:40 AM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I have two types of locksets on my house.
The front door has a deadbolt that is separate from the thumb latch:
<https://www.build.com/schlage-s51pd-jup/s687587
We installed that when we replaced the door about 10 years ago.
The back door has this:
<https://www.build.com/schlage-s51pd-jup/s687587
Cindy Hamilton

Both links are the same.
However, it's a sensible one, a single bolt into the frame. It's the ones with 7 all around the door which require a lot of force to lock and unlock, which you cannot provide with the key, so you have to remember how to operate the handle to assist it. And if anyone else tries to use your door, they end up breaking it.
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:44:28 AM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
oo.com> wrote:

yahoo.com> wrote:

:
do a dance with the doorhandle to get the key to turn?

eplaced

k, I can never remember which [1]), the handle has to be lifted first, as t he key doesn't have enough torque to move all 7 latches.

anism.

Sorry. ctrl-c didn't work one of those times and I didn't notice.

s with 7 all around the door which require a lot of force to lock and unloc k, which you cannot provide with the key, so you have to remember how to op erate the handle to assist it. And if anyone else tries to use your door, they end up breaking it.
7 all around the door? Do you have a picture of that?
Cindy Hamilton

You get that too? I've noticed lately (newer Windows?) that copy sometimes just doesn't. When I looked it up, it happens to many people. Sometimes the computer just doesn't bother. It can be quite embarrassing when you paste something into a live conversation in a chatroom which was not what you meant to, but a previous copy!

It's common in the UK, and I assumed everywhere. In fact my link is to an American company. This is a 3 point. I can't find a picture of a 7 point, although most are now 7 point here. https://codeldoors.com/features/multi-point-hardware/
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 12:56:39 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
oo.com> wrote:

yahoo.com> wrote:

:
ote:

to do a dance with the doorhandle to get the key to turn?

t replaced

lock, I can never remember which [1]), the handle has to be lifted first, a s the key doesn't have enough torque to move all 7 latches.

echanism.

es just doesn't. When I looked it up, it happens to many people. Sometime s the computer just doesn't bother. It can be quite embarrassing when you paste something into a live conversation in a chatroom which was not what y ou meant to, but a previous copy!

ones with 7 all around the door which require a lot of force to lock and un lock, which you cannot provide with the key, so you have to remember how to operate the handle to assist it. And if anyone else tries to use your doo r, they end up breaking it.

n American company.

e now 7 point here.

My, that seems unnecessarily complex.
Cindy Hamilton

My point exactly.
On 26/5/20 8:37 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

You don't want the extra points? Disconnect them.
--

Xeno

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 May 2020 12:44:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy

It's meant to keep the Scots and the Irish from breaking down the door.

It doesn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZB8gy2wD6E

On 26/5/20 9:41 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Like I have said, plenty of ways to get in if you're keen to do so.
--

Xeno

On 26/5/20 9:21 am, micky wrote:

I've seen a drunken wee Scot named Jimmy do precisely that. He came rolling drunk from the pub one evening and couldn't find his key to his room in the mining camp we were in. He got in but all that was left of the door was a full width strip attached to the top hinge. The lower 90% of the door was missing presumed disintegrated.
--

Xeno

On 26/5/20 5:44 am, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

It is. If someone wants to break in, there are plenty of alternative paths they will use.
--

Xeno

On 26/5/20 2:56 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Apart from the fact you're running Windoze, it's operator error.

My security door has a 3 point, never had an issue with it. Try lubing all the points. You might be amazed at the difference it makes.
--

Xeno

How can it be made obvious?

If you turn a key and it doesn't move the insides, the key can snap without you having particularly strong fingers. Bring back these!
http://stockarch.com/files/imagecache/Preview/13/01/holding_a_large_key.jpg
On Mon, 25 May 2020 08:35:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

He's got one of those fancy euro locks designed 100 years ago that locks at between 5 and 10 places on each door - a medieval castle lock - re-imagined and modified to make it less effective and more difficult to use, as well as more likely to break - but you wouldn't understand, it's a british or Scottish thing - - - -

It's on about 90% of UK houses.
On 26/5/20 8:38 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Clare's point is well made then.
--

Xeno