Modern locks are a pest

I once saw a bloke in a council estate who was drunk. He was trying to get me to tell him which house was his as "they all look the same!" He wasn't amused when I asked whether his was the one with the sofa in the front garden or the smashed up TV.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That proves you're not a tradesman.

Reply to
Xeno

My problem is you have to unintuitively use the handle to lock the door. When I were a lad, the handle opened the door, and the key locked it. Seperate mechanisms.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp> wrote

But anyone who isnt brain dead quickly gets used to that

And then the world moved on and we got multipoint locking mechanisms for better security and that approach doesn't work.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do explain what you've done or seen done with a mouth.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So how does your key manage to move 7 bolts?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They arent stupid enough to have plastic doors and 7 bolts. Neither are we.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You've never heard that saying, common in tradie circles.

Reply to
Xeno

We don't use 7 bolts. We use one.

In all my 63 years of looking at doors, I have never seen a door with more than one deadbolt and, typically, one locking doorknob with a weak latch bolt. If people feel the need for extra security, they use this:

Or this:

Given how much glass is used in many American doors, the lock is a bit of a joke, really. The rear door of my house is all glass. If someone wanted in, there are plenty of rocks nearby.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Those are only as good at the door and doorframe to which they attach.

For sure.

Reply to
Xeno

How can it be made obvious?

If you turn a key and it doesn't move the insides, the key can snap without you having particularly strong fingers. Bring back these!

Commander Kinsey

Maintainance is for cars, not locks.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, what does it mean?

And wow, when I tried to google it, so many instructions including videos on how to pick locks. Including with a blowtorch!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could get real radical and have a label on it saying 'lift to lock'

Corse that wouldn't help with fools like you who have wanked yourself completely blind.

Wrong when the system is designed so it slips instead of breaking the key, stupid.

Thos don't work to raise the drawbridge or portcullis, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Same proportion on normal homes. But usually solid wood doors, or even aluminium. Same stupid locks though.

You don't live here.

Snob.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

Don't need to to know that Boris is currently the PM either.

Fuckwit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Maintenance is for *any* mechanical contrivance.

Reply to
Xeno

Only complicated ones. I don't expect to maintain a simple device. I oil the hinge if it squeaks, and that's it. In fact even with a car it only gets things it asks for. If the oil warning comes on, I add oil.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You're doing damage long before you add the oil. Your pump is sucking air long before that light comes on and it is aerating the oil. Aerated oil becomes foamy and cannot maintain hydrodynamic lubrication. The bearings drop into boundary lubrication and will wear rather more rapidly. Modern engines, given they run very high bearing pressures, don't last long in this situation. Expect your engine to toss a leg out of bed at any time.

Reply to
Xeno