Modern locks are a pest

Then your light is defective. Clearly any designer with an ounce of common sense makes the car warn you at a point earlier than when damage occurs. Otherwise, why have the light?

Ah, the motor trade, so you're a dumb ass mechanic. I know people like you. And I've had people like you fired.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh, another idiot who can't handle an opinion other than his own.

Nope, just trying to educate him.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The dumb Speed never nails anything. I buy a vehicle for £500, use it for 4 years, then scrap it getting £120 back for the metal. That's a pretty small price for a working vehicle.

And if it fails to warn me before something catastrophic happens, well that's poor design by the fuckwits that made the car. I only lose out on up to £380.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Thankyou for the compliment. Scots are morons.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They'll just use the windows instead.

And don't forget, the harder you make it for burglars, the harder it is for you when you forget your keys.

If you turn it on, 50% of your street will immediately hate you.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The manufacturers call them "convenience lights"-Mechanics call them "inconvenience lights". Generally the oil pressure has to be below

3psi before the light comes on and minimum safe oil pressure is generally closer to 15 - with normal running pressure between 30 and
  1. "when the convenience light comes on you are about to be greatly inconvenienced"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They are much easier to break the lock.

And electronic locks are much easier again and require no maintenance.

Because you get a much better result. Modern cars require very little maintenance at all now, because they are more complicated.

You don't with an electronic lock. You don't even have to use any hands at all.

There is no handle with an electronic lock.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Just stupidity on the part of the fool using the key.

How odd that there isnt even a key used at all in a car with that many locks.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, the sensor is.

So fools like you can ignore it and kill the engine, twice.

Pigs arse you have.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pity you have to fart around manually disconnecting and reconnecting the battery every f****ng time you use it.

It didn't, you stupidly ignored the warning, twice.

And you stupidly keep buying those badly designed cars.

Some of us arent completely unemployable benefits bludgers with nothing better to do with their time than to keep trying to find yet another wreck that wastes our time having to disconnect and reconnect the battery every time we need to use the car.

Reply to
Rod Speed

So are completely unemployable benefits bludgers who are stuck with shit cars that need to have the battery disconnected and reconnected every time you use it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not possible if they have security screens.

Trivial to have spare keys outside the house.

Doesn't happen here.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why is it done like that, just to minimise the light coming on when the oil level is still fine ? If so, why cant the computer only turn the light on when it has decided that there is a real problem with not enough oil ?

- with normal running pressure between 30 and

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Then why have the light at all if the designer is too f****ng stupid to make it come on at the right time?

BTW my car, which is 18 years old, does not have a light. It has an electronic guage. It checks the sump level every time I turn on the ignition. If it's a bit on the low side, it warns me.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Your brain is defective. The aerated oil will *still* have *pressure*. It takes very little pressure, a few psi, to extinguish the light. It is the air bubbles from the aeration that cause the oil to be unable to take the load noting that it is not the *supply oil pressure* that is critical but the wedging pressure in the bearings and that will be negatively affected buy oil aeration. Read up on hydrodynamic lubrication and educate yourself.

Yeah, right!

Reply to
Xeno

Yes, doesn't take much pressure on the sensor to extinguish the light. Here we call them *idiot lights* because it needs something like a sudden bright light to attract the idiot's attention. Gauges, much more useful to a person with a clue, are ignored or misunderstood by the idiots. I have seen oil pressure gauges misunderstood to be oil *level* indicators. Ditto with charge *lights*. Ammeters and Voltmeters just confuse the idiots.

Reply to
Xeno

Because a lot of engines drop to a low pressure when at idle and having the light flash on and off at such times confuses the idiots.

Reply to
Xeno

Yep, the engineer who designed *your car* has determined that even an idiot light is not sufficient for your level of idiocy.

BTW, note spelling - gauge.

Reply to
Xeno

It doesn't matter how the system works. There's clearly no point in having a light to warn you that your engine is already f***ed. The designers need a clue stick.

My car measures the level of spare oil in the sump very time I turn on the ignition. I can see it usually lighting 6/6 LEDs. If it's less, I know how much to add.

Yip. Markup. It's theft.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What would be better is gauges and lights that convey useful information. What is the point in telling the driver that he ran out of oil 40 miles ago?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey