Are Medeco locks worth the premium?

While visiting the local locksmith last week, he pressed very hard to sell me Medeco locks, saying that he couldn't recommend anything else.

We live in a "nice" house in a safe, residential neighborhood, with an up-to-date alarm system.

Is the Medeco lock that much better and worth it than "standard" lock technologies or does the locksmith just get a better commission selling higher-priced Medeco models?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

IMHO, yes, better cylinders are worth the money.

I actually prefer the Mul-T-Lock cylinders over Medeco.

Either > While visiting the local locksmith last week, he pressed very hard to

Reply to
jeffg

Depends on the skill level of the crooks in your area. I've been installing Kwikset deadbolts for about 20 years. Used to like the Schlage line in the

80's, but they've gone to junk. Medeco has higher pick and drill resistance. And some of their lines have key control.

I live in a trailer park, and have had Kiwkset deadbolts on my doors for the last 11 years. Of course, putting a $150 deadbolt on a plastic door in a wood jamb doesn't make much sense.

Like you say, good neighborhood. I'd be tempted not to use Medeco.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin make a good point. A great lock in a sorry frame is worthless. I was told this story: Air Force built metal storage buildings along a taxi way. Locks were protected by steel shroud protecting hasp and padlock when closed. Screws securing metal siding could be undone with a dime. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Stormin make a good point. A great lock in a sorry frame is worthless. I was told this story: Air Force built metal storage buildings along a taxi way. Locks were protected by steel shroud protecting hasp and padlock when closed. Screws securing metal siding could be undone with a dime. TB

Reply to
tbasc

When buying a lock for a house, go for the look you want. If anyone wants in the lock is not going to slow them down. About all the lock does on most houses is to keep out the kids. Just too many other ways in a house. It really gets to me when the TV shows tell how to put a cut off broom and use the stick to keep a window from opening. All you have to do is hit the window with something and go right in. Maybe some of the higher priced locks will operate smoother but that and the look of them is all that matters.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reminds me of the shed I built years ago. Hasp, padlock, and a deadbolt. And the sides of the shed were put on with drywall screws.

great illustration, thank you for your common sense. And got a smile.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think it's a little of both. They are definitely good locks, but the locksmiths seem a little too eager to sell them, especially after you've had your house broken into. DAMHIKT.

If you don't have a steel door frame and a really solid door, the best lock is a waste of money. If the lock is the weakest part of the door, then upgrade. Then make sure the rest of your house is equally secure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I love my Medeco lock having moved from NYC where they are common to Connecticut where they are supposedly not. Makes me feel like home.

However at some po>While visiting the local locksmith last week, he pressed very hard to

Reply to
SMF

Top quality. There are (or were) four grades of Medeco locks, the top being no keys could ever be made again for the lock once it came from the factory. They're used to secure all sorts of gov't. things that are important, from armories to doors. Just make sure the burglar can't smash a window to bypass the lock. The locksmiths I go to never pressure-sell anything.

My latest lock choice was Abloy, because they are pretty cool. But, they are harder to open when it's pitch black outside. The conventional keyway of the Medeco would have made it easier to find the keyway using the tip of the key.

I think alarms are a waste. Most people ignore the sound, and in my area the cops are only going to file a report if things are taken. Better idea is a) keep thiefs out by making your house harder to break into than the next guy's, and b) webcams + motion sensors to record the thief when he does break in.

- Scott

Reply to
Scott Packard