ping Mary...

The Walnut tree is no more.

I have cut off and split a couple of slabs from the trunk for a friend but otherwise it is piled up in the round and thinking about radial cracks.

I could plank some of the smaller stuff on the band saw if I knew what you wanted.

Anyone else? Free to good homes:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Where are you?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Wheathampstead, Herts.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Shame, too far for me, but thanks anyway :-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

If there are no better takers etc, would any of it be good for turning, bowels and the like do you think please? Or if it's splitting, would the smaller sections be good for turning smaller stuff, like cord pulls and fruit etc?

I ask because Daughter is getting into such stuff and recently went to a turning club (where she currently is in Scotland) and has been asking to take my wood turning lathe up with her next trip [1]. She's also chainsaw carving and going to a hand carving club at the end of the month. She has also shown an interest in ornamental / rustic garden furniture but has a problem getting hold of any raw materials atm (and especially 'nice' wood). Hopefully this will get better if/when her b/f's Tree Surgery business takes off.

I'm not far from you, could collect on her behalf and they are driving down at the end of next week for a show at her old horticultural college (Capal Manor).

The email addy works and we would be happy to swap some materials for a bottle of wine or two ... or a chainsaw carved mushroom? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] She actually used my lathe (acquired via this very group ) about 5 years ago for a project at secondary school (doesn't time fly). It was to turn a wooden mock perfume bottle for a product they had to design but she didn't want to do it as school as they were hardly allowed near any machinery [2]. She did *all* the turning herself, cut out / smoothed parts with the Dremel (it looked like an old fashioned sleek-upright space ship, standing on three feet, the nose cone being the screw cap etc) and she spray painted it to look like it was made from coloured glass. [2] This was the same school where I built a rowing boat in woodwork classes but that was a long time ago. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

I'm no wood turner so I don't know the problems of using green wood. Warping and splitting of larger sections I guess.

Currently, on their way to the log burner, I have Hedge Maple, Hazel, Oak and the Walnut.

OK Contact details on way.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think this was walnut ? There is /was a saying : "A woman, a dog, a walnut tree, The more you beat them The better they be."

Don't know about the other two, but walnut was prone to attractive blemishes from knocks, which made it desirable among woodworkers (I just eat the nuts from mine) John

Reply to
JTM

You're going to eat it...?

Ok well they have seasoning room up there if need be.

Oh no! Well, I'll chat to them tonight and they might be keen to bring a car load of pine down for you in exchange for something more exotic. ;-)

Thanks and replied.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m