walnut tree question

I have a young black walnut tree growing in my garden in western Massachusetts, probably 6-9 years old (just guessing). There's the main trunk, about 6" in diameter, and then two small 'trunks,' about 2" in diameter, attached to the main trunk at ground level. Should I prune the small trunks out? The tree had been attacked until recently by bittersweet, clogging up completely its upper branches. Perhaps this is the reason for the extra trunk growth. Again just guessing as I know nothing much about walnut trees and articles on the internet do not deal with their early growth.

Reply to
Paul Isaacs

Entirely up to you, Paul. If you think a single-trunked tree would look better, trim off the other trunks over the winter.

Dave

bittersweet,

Reply to
David J Bockman

Reply to
paul

At least. To me, the judgement would be whether to keep it at all. Black Walnut has a lot of genetic variation in branching. Early and low branching are usually deemed inferior traits. This may be based partly on desirability for timber, but large crotches are also weak points where breakage and rot happen. I'm guessing since it has already branched so early and low, it may continue to behave that way. But I would consider the form of the dominant trunk. If it looks like it wants to go up straight, it may yet make a decent tree. If it is already growing more two and three-way crotches, what you have is a large bush, which I might whack.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

To me, too. Isabel seems to have cleared my yard for now, but I'm going to be vigilent about volunteers. In all the years I've lived here, I've never had an edible nut. The lore for harvesting/using includes driving over them to remove the outer skin as a first step. Mostly the nuts just landed on the roof like bombs, and decayed on the ground to become very unpleasant surprises when stepped on (both black stain AND considerable discomfort). Branches die off and drop inconveniently. The juglone produced by the roots will 'poison' soil for certain ('though not all) plants, tomatoes among them. New trees grow constantly from roots, seeds (nuts) and sheer cussedness, even inside the dirt-floored garage. And roots grow *very* long and lateral. Their only advantages are shade, and a swiftly-decaying leaf that doesn't have to be raked in the fall. An 80' pine survived the storm, but all the big black walnuts (in my yard -- not universally, AFAIK) fell or became uprooted and had to be removed. Get rid of it while you can!

Reply to
Frogleg

Sounds like I shouldn't take a "romantic" view of having a walnut tree; thanks for all your helpful responses.

Reply to
paul