Broken Asian Pear Tree

The top 5-6 feet of one of my Asian Pear trees broke off yesterday. It wasn't that badly loaded with fruit, but we did have some high winds, and I think the combination of wind and fruit load was just too much for it. It broke off at about 5 1/2 feet above the ground. There are several good branches growing below the break, but it was the main vertical growing stem that broke. Pics here:

tree experts care to comment on whether the tree is worth keeping? I can take some more pics if there are any particular angles you want to see. There are several sturdy branches growing out, but the main stem snapped. I'd like to save the tree if possible as the fruit is much sweeter then any of my other asian pears. Is it possible to graft a branch onto the broken stem so that it can continue to grow upwards? Or is the tree likely to do well if I just leave it as is and let the remaining branches grow out?

Reply to
Zootal

I would just cut it off clean at the break and see what happens. It should sprout several new leaders and next year you can pick one and cut the others off. Or keep it pruned like a peach tree with no leader (that might look weird.)

IIRC, Asian pears are resistant to fire blight, so you shouldn't have to worry about that from the open wound.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

> Any tree experts care to comment on whether the tree is worth keeping? I

Your pictures made me laugh... two of just the break are funny but especially the one of the broken branch dying on the ground. Why pray tell didn't you take a picture of the *entire* tree (including where the trunk meets the ground), then one could tell the approximate age of the tree but more importantly what percentage of the tree the break constitutes. It appears that the branch broke because it probably should have been partially removed with normal pruning. There doesn't appear to be a thing wrong with your tree, it looks perfectly healthy. Prune the broken branch back to the crotch and allow a new leader to form (there shouldn't be just one leader on a fruit tree anyway). And get yourself some information on when and how to keep your pear tree pruned, it's very important to prune fruit trees to keep them structurally strong.. Pear trees need a pollinator, is this your only pear tree or are there others nearby? Also, don't leave that broken branch anywhere near your tree, best to burn it.

brooklyn1

> Any tree experts care to comment on whether the tree is worth

I am by no means a tree expert but I have a large productive orchard. I would cut it off and let it regrow. There is every chance the tree will fully recover in time.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

brooklyn1 wrote: Prune the broken branch back to the

I disagree with your comment about having multiple leaders on fruit trees. A single leader is the way to go. It will give the tree a much better shape whenever it grows back.

And get yourself some information on when and how to

I think he said this was his tastiest Asian pear tree. He must have others.

Sherwin

Also, don't leave that broken branch

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Well you are just plain wrong. Fruit trees need to be shaped to make them capable of bearing the weight of their crop, and should have as open a structure as possible to allow them to receive maximum light and enable easier harvesting, there should be no central leader. All trees require pruning for structural soundness but especially crop trees. The OP's single spindely leader fractured for one reason and one reason only, it was too long and too thin making it incapable of bearing the weight of the pears. If one wants a specimen tree with a "better shape" then there are plenty of ornamental pear trees to choose from. You've obviously never visited a fruit tree orchard.

Reply to
brooklyn1

As a matter of fact, I have over 20 fruit trees in my yard. I have only lost one leader in my experience because I did not thin it adequately. I do agree with you on pruning a fruit tree to bear the weight of their crop, such as removing branches with a small crotch angle, etc. However, letting a tree 'grow wild' without a leader is not a good idea. If a leader is overburdened with fruit, it should be thinned.

Just to keep this as short a reply as possible, I will refer you to one of many references on pruning fruit trees:

from the University of North Carolina Extension Service.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Show me just twenty.

Seems you have personal issues with *control*. If you know so much about fruit trees nothing prevented you from offering advice in a timely manner directly to the OP rather than lurk about for an opportunity to argue with and snipe at others advice. Have you even looked at your own reference, it totally disagrees with you. And in fact you make absolutely no sense whatsoever, you even argue with yourself. Duh

Reply to
brooklyn1

You are just throwing a bunch of words around, not specifying what your point is. I think my posting was very clear. Just how am I arguing with myself?

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, just keeping the record straight. If you are putting out incorrect information, I feel obligated to correct you.

As far as the reference, it clearly indicates how to maintain a leader on a fruit tree, which you say should not be done. Try re-reading it.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren