Ground cover for a soakaway

I have a 10m x 5m soakaway, which at the moment is lying fallow. I can't cover it with grass because we can't take the mower over it and we can't plant anything with deep roots because of the pipes. But I would like it to look attractive.

I have an enormous garden so don't want to have to spend a lot of time weeding this area - it is not actually part of the garden, just very visible.

The area is well-drained and the climate here (mid-France) is mild but we do get frost in the winter.

Can anyone suggest what I should plant?

Reply to
Sspider

Cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana, also known as P. verna). Spreads to form a low mat. Has small yellow flowers on and off, except in the winter.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thank you, David. I shall try that. Does it spread fast? About how many plants would I need?

David E. Ross;862030 Wrote:

Reply to
Sspider

Plant them about 30-45 cm apart. Plant them now, to get roots established while the soil is still warm from summer (even if the air is cooling towards fall).

Cinquefoil can become invasive. They spread with runners, which should be trimmed from the edges of the area. They sometimes reseed, starting new plants outside of the area. I have a flower and shrub bed with cinquefoil growing as a ground cover.

About every 2-3 months, I trim the edges with grass shears and dig seedlings out of the surrounding walkway (decomposed granite) with a paring knife. Since I am retired and enjoy puttering in my garden, keeping the cinquefoil under control is not a major burden on me.

Reply to
David E. Ross

It sounds exactly what I am looking for. I shall start a cinquefoil hunt immediately (Starting with looking up the French name for it :D)

Thank you aga> On 8/23/2009 3:33 PM,

Reply to
Sspider

I thought "cinquefoil" was French, meaning "five leaf". The little leaf is divided into five parts.

You might try the botanical name -- Potentilla neumanniana (also known as P. verna) -- which should be the same in all nations and languages.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I have found the French name: "Petite Potentille" and I have hunted high and low with no result. Does anyone know where I can get plants (in France) or seeds (anywhere)?

I do know that it is also known as 'Spr> On 8/24/2009 2:23 PM, Sspider wrote:-

Reply to
Sspider