Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree?

I have a large, mature oak tree, about 40 feet tall, the trunk is about 3 feet thick at the base. The tree appears healthy, but there are a number (about 10) dead branches near the bottom of the tree. The largest of these branches is about 2 inches where it exits the trunk, although most are around 1 inch. They have no leaves on them at all and they smaller shoots break easily. Also, most also have very blunt cut ends where it looks like they were pruned years ago (by the previous homeowner). By far, most of the tree is fine, with very full, green leaves.

I'd like to remove these dead branches, but I'm not sure when is the best time of the year to do this. I've done some searching, and found information regarding pruning live branches, but not much about the dead ones. Some of the articles I've found state to trim only during winter, but that would be much harder to identify the dead branches. Other articles say mid to late summer (starting late June) is OK.

The dead branches are all fairly low (reachable from the ground with a pole saw), and finances are somewhat tight right now, so bringing in a professional isn't really an option.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O

The branches are dead.

They don't get deader at any particular time of year.

Cut them off anytime.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I realize the branches are dead, I just want to avoid doing anything that will damage the rest of the tree.

Reply to
Mike O

Dead of that size is immaterial when it is removed.

Major pruning is best in fall or very early spring, but dead is already dead and certainly anything less than 5-6" is of no concern at all.

Reply to
dpb

Just remove the branch. Leave the rest of the tree alone.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Remove dead branches any time of year. Use a pruning saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

The only likely damage to the rest of the tree is a crude cutting job that lets a branch fall and strip bark back into a live section. But w/ stuff this small even that is pretty minimal w/ any care exercised at all...when you get to taking off a large limb 6" or more, then some care is warranted.

Reply to
dpb

I remember something about painting the cut area to prevent decay. You can get clear paint for that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

During the daylight would be best. Make the final cut at the outside edge of the branch collar -not flush against the trunk Make the first cuts a foot or so away from the trunk to remove weight so thet the final cuts don't tear bark down the tree. Use no sealants. Take your time and work neatly, a pole saw can be clumsy when your shoulders are tired, it's not a set of commonly worked muscles!

Reply to
beecrofter

Sealing the cut is OLD. No longer recommended.

But NEVER recommended for dead branches. There is nothing to seal. It's dead.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If that is the case, why do they have sealed coffins for humans?

Reply to
mm

There are a number of different Oaks, some are more susceptible to disease than others, so that will have to be a consideration.

In our area (TX), there are primarily "Live Oaks" that keep their leaves all winter and shed in the spring as they put on new leaves. There is also a disease called "Oak Wilt" that kills these trees. These trees should never be trimmed in the spring and summer, only in the winter. But, small dead branches can be cut without a problem, so I'd guess since yours are all dead, that you are safe. But if I was doing it, I'd contact the county extension service or an aborist for advice. Also, alwasys sterilize your tools with alcohol.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Total waste of money.

Eventually you're going to rot, the coffin is going to rot, the worms will eat you. Whether it's in one year or ten thousand makes little difference.

Personally, I'd rather be buried in a landfill, container optional.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Painting a tree cut has been replaced with "keeping the cut clean." Trees heal faster without painting or use of tar sprays.

Reply to
Phisherman

There's some stupid belief about things lasting forever. It doesn't (and shouldn't) do that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It does make some. Rotting is a normal part of nature.

There's something really wrong about being expected to spend thousands of dollars on a box (coffin) which is then put in another box you spent hundreds of dollars on, and then buried forever.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

[snip]

The people across the street (east Texas) have a couple of

30-year-old live oaks. The shed in the fall too, and those tough narrow leaves are hard to clean up. They wish they hadn't been told that live oaks make good shade trees. [snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On May 25, 12:07 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote: .

Can't be worse than magnolia leaves! They're big, thick, take years to rot, fall all year long, and blow over 3 city blocks. My advise to magnolia tree owners - if it's less than 100 years old, cut it down.

Red

Reply to
Red

Dead branches heal faster??? :)