Best Time to Plug Squirrel Hole

This past early spring I heard a serious scrambling noise over my living room ceiling, most likely made by a squirrel. I have heard it off and on, but haven't heard it for about a week now. When it last occurred, it was night and the temp was in the low 50's. Spring in the NE has been fairly cool- except for the past 3-4 days when we have had a heat wave- 90's every day. So I just closed up the suspected entry point (hole in board covering the eaves.) I can easily remove the covering if necessary. My theory was that the heat would have driven the varmint out for sure and that he was no longer up there. Was this a good idea? The last thing I want to have happen would be for a squirrel to die up there, even though I will be away for the summer. Your advice and experience would be *very* much appreciated. I will remove the cover if enough people tell me to. Thank you. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

One of my sons faced this problem recently. Roofer came out and plugged opening but did not find or plug an opening in chimney cap. Squirrel was nesting there as son was not using fire place and fell between chimney and pipe outer liner and died. There was stench, maggots and flies in house. It took a chimney guy and contractor (to remove siding to access) to get out the maggot infested squirrel and cost my son several hundred dollars.

You definitely do not want to seal opening with squirrel inside. I think critter control people would put a one way attachment over the opening before sealing. If you can access nesting area, a Hav-a-hart trap could catch the squirrel. Large rat snap traps sometimes work.

I've had mice in attic and trapped in walls and poisoned and trapped them. Fortunately if they die in attic, there is no air access to house and I've never smelled them.

Reply to
Frank

You don't want to do that. By now they ( not likely just one) have set up housekeeping and may well have some little ones. If you are successful at blocking their current access, they WILL find a new access, even if they have to chew through some 2X4s. Call in the pros, they will know the nesting times in your area and hopefully they have not nested yet. They can trap the critters and when they are sure they have them all, then you want to block their access.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Nightime, running at about 9-10:30pm? It sounds like the flying Squirrels I had. They chew through wood and will make a new hole to get out or die trying. I used a bucket of amonia and threw mothballs to evict them then sealed the hole, they are actualy nearly tame since they never see us, I caught 2 and they were tame, one got in and was on my fireplace and I walked right up to it. Open the hole then try to stink up the attic

Reply to
ransley

I had chipmunks getting into the soffitt and fascia via the corner vinyl molding on the house. I plugged all but one of the openings with foam and then set a rat trap. Caught 9 of them in a couple of weeks. I went

2 weeks without catching any more and then plugged last hole.

Plug all entries except one and then set a trap for the critter. it helps to know what it is so you know what bait and trap to use. Once trapped and activity stops, then plug the hole.

If an animal is trapped without an exist, it will get creative and try to make an opening to escape or die and sink.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

After the squirrel has had a few drinks and maybe listened to some soft Frank Sinatra music.

Reply to
RickH

RickH wrote in news:c668ade0-e33e-4c31- snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

You ol' sly dog you...

Reply to
Red Green

replying to frank1492, Dave wrote: Hi, You are on the right track. Wait until they are out and plug it! Hard to predict, but sense they are usually out in the late morning when warm out or afternoon. Spent a lot of money (probably around $700) with a professional trying the "right" way. A waste of time, every time they came different ideas, more money. First they said it was mice. Through about 30-40 bags for mice at a couple of dollars a bag. Then said it was both, and now have to deal with squirrels (which it always was) They claimed there was a squirrel in one of their traps. It is was in a bag, never showed it to us, we asked. Still noise in the attic. Never any progress. They said have to trap them first before plugging. Had a contractor block openings, never problems after that. Keep them out, they will find another house with easier entrance. Cheers David

Reply to
Dave