Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree?

That fact is that a truly dead branch will eventually self-prune as soon as microorganisms and fungus and insects do their work and a wind comes up. You can hasten the process by cutting the dead branches right now. The key is to avoid causing more damage in the process. Things like leaving the collar intact and avoiding bark tears are important whether the branches are live or dead.

Reply to
John McGaw

Read the thread title, look at the emoticon, and chill...

Reply to
dpb

I learn something everyday. I'm from south and central TX, and the Live Oaks around here don't shed in the fall season.

Yep, the leaves are a bit tough but I just leave them and the mower shreds them after a few mowings and the grass grows through them and the leaves rot away under the tree.

Bob-tx

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

information and happened to recall it...) --

"Cold weather may turn live oak leaves brown, but ... the discolored leaves will drop in early spring. New leaves sprout and grow in spring and early summer, but unlike many evergreens, live oak leaves only last a year.

"This leaf shed and re-leafing ... is sometimes so dramatic it leaves the trees naked for one or two weeks in the spring. ... "Genetics and environmental influences determine the degree of live oak leaf color, size and shedding."

Like you, am used to a real live oak having its annual shed in the spring, but know they tend to shed to a greater/lesser degree year 'round. As this note says, there are genetic and environmental influences to make for differences. Disease or (primarily) insect pests can cause an unnatural shed, too, of course. Really neat trees, wish they could survive winters here. It's how we knew as kids we were "south" on the way to visit family -- when the live oaks and so on became prevalent...

Reply to
dpb

replying to Red, dino717 wrote: magnolia tree leaves are great, easy to rake and pick up and provide great shade.

Reply to
dino717

They are ok to cut off any time of the year. Just becareful not to cut into fresh timber

Reply to
jackie