Riding mower --- no cut in reverse

I`ve been looking to buy a new riding mower but everything I see will not cut in reverse. I don`t have kids or pets to be concerned about so how do I defeat this feature?

Reply to
Herb Eneva

Herb,

You'll need to look at the wiring of your mower. On mine, there is a forward and reverse lever. When reverse is selected the lever engages an elictrical switch. This switch grounds out the engine and it stalls. Pulling the wire off of this switch allows me to mow backwards.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

With Sears mowers the ignition switch can be positioned for reverse mowing although they don't recommend using it. I use it all the time.

Reply to
Roy

Is this something new? I just bought a JD a couple yeas ago and it has the button you push to mow in reverse. I am sure all other brands had that or a similar method. Definitely a nuisance but it does not prevent reverse mowing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

My John Deere also has the button but I told the dealer to simply disconnect the lock out or it was "no sale". He told me that it was illegal but complied for the sale.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

My, over ten years old, John Deere had no button, but there was an unofficial provision to unplug a cable and insert a jumper into the plug to allow backing up while mowing. As I had no children and no animals it allows me to mow faster without having to constantly start up the mower with the resulting wear and tear on the mower components.

Reply to
EXT

button you push to mow in reverse. I am sure all other brands had that or a similar method. Definitely a nuisance but it does not prevent reverse mowing.

Your 'push button' to mow in reverse is new to me. Must be a mandated safety feature to prevent running over your grandkids who may be following your mower. It happens all too often, and mostly when grandparents are operating the mower.

decade old garden tractor cuts in reverse without doing anything special other than hitting the reverse pedal while the blades are spinning. I do look behind before reversing though.

Reply to
willshak

I can't imagine such a feature. That's ridiculous.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The JD mower I bought about 6 years ago has the 'reverse mow' button. YOu have to push it in or the mower will cut off when you backup with the blades running. I did by pass that one. The seat switch has been standard for many years. They had to replace the seat the first time I used my mower. It would mow for about 100 feet and cut off, then do that again. Called them out to repair the problem and they said it was the seat switch.

Seems that mowers have all kinds of safety devices on them now. It is either a Government regulation or the mower companies put the safety devices on them so they may not get sued when someone does something stupid. Just look at all the warnnings on everything now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:11:09 -0500, Steve Barker wrote in Re Re: Riding mower

--- no cut in reverse:

Another good reason to hold on to your old cars and equipment for as long as possible.

Reply to
CRNG

Are you saying that you can not drive this thing in reverse? What happens when it's up against the house or a car or tree? Somehow I do not comprehend this??????

If you *DO* have reverse, the blade is spinning, so it WILL cut. That is unless these idiot engineers found a way to make another useless safety feature that stops the blade from spinning when you back up..... ( I will not doubt that )!

Pretty soon, you wont be able to mow the lawn without a permit, costly license and training course, and you must be over 21, under 70, within a specific weight category, mentally sane, and not have a felony on your record. When you get on the mower, you will be required to take a breath and urine test to determine if you drank alcohol or took any drugs. And dont forget the REQUIRED seat belt. These same laws will be required to use any other motorized device such as a chain saw, weed whacker, rototiller, generator, and more..... Of course you all know that "We the People" control our government!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

What is it about the current political climate that causes people to root for toxins and maiming? "Back before the gummit ruined everything, if ya didn't run over a grandkid when ya mowed, ya weren't doing it right."

If these safety devices are like the "not a step" on every rung of a ladder then they're the result of lawyers, not government. Lawyers and their class action and product liability lawsuits have company lawyers adding anti-run-over-grandkids interlocks to every mower.

On the other hand, emission controls that ruin engines by not letting them belch pollution into the air are entirely the provenance of government. So, "Stop gummit! Go asthma! Go asthma! Rah! Rah! Rah!"

Fake ID

Not actually law; another mentioned legal which is probably a major driving force but it is a voluntary-compliance ANSI Standard sponsored by manufacturers' organization---

CPSC fact sheet link --

--

Reply to
dpb

ave kids or pets to be concerned

1/2 inches ...

Ah, thanks. I thought it was mandated for every manufacturer. I have known about the "button" bit for many a year.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No. Only that if you try to mow in reverse the engine stops if the "safety" thingy, button or whaterver, is installed.

It is so common I thought all manufacturers had some form of it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

BAN DHMO! It's the most deadly substance on Earth!

You do know there is such a thing as cost-benefit analysis/trade-off, right?

Government has nothing to do with lawyers, right? It would be against the laws of physics to limit torts, right?

...another leftist moron heard from.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, heaven help that somebody actually know from whence something came on usenet... :)

Not seen one meself; nothing I have is new enough or what is new enough is exempt.

I borrowed a utility tractor from JD dealer a couple of summers ago for some spot spraying needed to get done in a timely fashion while they were working on mine. The little sprayer is just a 55-gal 3-pt PTO driven w/ a manual control valve rather than a solenoid. The stinkin' seat interlock was so sensitive I couldn't reach back to turn the sprayer on/off w/o the da--d thing turning itself off. Finally had to go back the house and jerry-rig it to bypass it to be able to use the tractor for a field operation. :(

There's a point at which stuff just is too much. (The one on mine had been disabled before I ever bought it and it was a while before I realized it was actually there, even. I've not replaced it.)

It's impossible to fill the sprayer and mix w/ the pump while doing so which is the only reasonable way to do so w/ the thing active as another kicker...or rinse/washout is even more of a pita.

Back to the subject mower, there are several areas in the yard that are such that the only way to get to them is by backing along the side of a building because there's a flower bed between the walks out of the double garage entry doors and the other direction would put the discharge against the wall. Some things just aren't practical despite all the good intentions.

--

Reply to
dpb

They say this stuff is for safety, but has anyone ever considered that they are forcing people to void the warranty on this equipment, and thus they dont have to honor their warranty once the owner has bypassed or eliminated a safety device or more than one.....

Think about this!!!!!! You can buy a brand new garden tractor today, get it home, and bypass a some (so called) "safety device". Unless you can put that device back together exactly as it was, you no longer have a warranty after less than one days ownership. This way, if the engine blows after a month, YOU will have to pay for the new engine because you voided the warranty.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 04:48:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in Re Re: Riding mower

--- no cut in reverse:

It's not about safety and it's not about warranties. It's about money for scumbag lawyers like this:

Reply to
CRNG