cutting in reverse

When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engag ed the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Reply to
herbwhite59

Do you need to stop the engine, or just stop forward motion?

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.

I remember my old neighbor, Tony, trying to clear under his mower while it was running. He got cut pretty badly.

Reply to
Frank

aged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then bac k up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. H ow can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Find a schematic and see how it's wired up? Find the switch that detects gear position and bypass it? Or course they apparently put that there for some additional protection, how important that is to you, is up to you.

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to stop anything. His annoyance is the opposite, if he doesn't disengage the blades, when he tries to back up, the engine shuts off.

Reply to
trader_4

On 05/21/2016 12:21 PM, trader_4 wrote: ...

Yeah, but that one makes mowing in any restricted place a _real_ pita. That'd be a non-starter for a purchase in my book and definitely a retrofit...

Reply to
dpb

Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be found. Someone suggested just have four guys pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.

Please do not try this under any circumstances.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't have a riding mower, but I'm sure they do that electrically, with a switch that either closes or opens when you put it in reverse.

1) Check out the gear shift lever and the transmission until you find the switch. Any electric wire around them is probably there for this purpose. The way push mower engines were stopped in the ones I've seen is to short the primary or secondary of the magneto, so I'd guess that the switch closes in order to stop the engine, so just pull one of the wires off the switch, and that won't happen anymore.

If after you do that, the engine won't start at all, that implies that the switch opens to stop the engine, so if so, bypass the switch**. Cut a short piece of stranded wire or thin solid wire, strip each end, and you should be able to pull off each wire on the switch and then push it back on with some of that short wire stuck between the two parts of the connector. It only takes a couple strands.

**But the better way, once you find the switch, if paragraph 1 doesn't work, esp. if the engine won't start at all, is to use an ohmmeter (or I suppose a testlight if it's one with a battery inside that lights when its two leads are touched to each other) to see whether the switch really opens or closes when you're in reverse. A big opportunity to get mixed up, so maybe take notes.

On my push mower there was a switch that stopped the engine if I let go of the handlebar, so I wrapped a wire-tie around the handlebar and the bail, the lever that had to be closed. And on the convertible there was a more complicated circuit to keep me from raising or lowering the top when the car was going more than 3mph. That used a relay that was hidden behind a cover in the far corner of the trunk, but I cut the wire and now it works fine.

Just don't forget about this when your friend brings his grandchild over.

Reply to
Micky

It would help to know what mower you have. Mine has a switch position that bypasses the motor stop, one I used to have had a push button to keep the blades running and motor on while in reverse.

As others said, there is a switch somewhere the linkage activates when you put the mower in reverse.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Stormin Mormon wrote: "Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be found. Someone suggested just have four guys pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.

Please do not try this under any circumstances. "

^^This^^ ! I laughed so hard visualizing this I choked on my own saliva and nearly dropped my tablet on the floor!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!! lmao!

thekmanrocks

Er..... how is cutting in reverse more dangerous than cutting going forwards?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:18:13 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote in

Exactly.

Reply to
CRNG

We have people in government that have to come up with things to keep their jobs. Just as the warning on the cigarett packages about being bad for your health.

What I really hate is the 'new' gas can regulations. I have a one gallon can that I bought for the weed eater mixed fuel. I have spilt more out of that can each time I use it than I do out of my 5 gallon cans of the old type all year.

Another is that the government has the home owner mower blades going so slow I can not get a good cut of the grass with the mower going very fast.

YOu may back over something with the blades going. Mainly a child that comes behind you and you do not look back.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine? The more safety rules we have, the more stupid people will survive. The next generation will be dumb as shit.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

New Zealand, actually.

A bit better,

or the same redneck
A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24" rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)

Reply to
clare

======================================

With enough alcohol, many things make complete sense that the rest of us dry folk would never do. This is one such. The rest of the anecdote (warning to those of us who are sensetive and have good imaginations!) is that many fingers were lost at that moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mr Macaw wrote: "- show quoted text -

"In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in your date instead of two. "

GROAAAAN!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Looks safer than a yard full of drunks with a walk behind mower.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL. It seems to work. When my bushes got higher than my head, trimming them was much harder. I should try this.

Reordered:

Wow. His mower didn't break as easily as he thought it would. 3 tries (or more?)

Reply to
Micky