Microwave broken, repair or replace

We have a 4 year old GE over-the-range microwave model JVM1660BB

The microwave has stopped heating. First symptoms were a grrring sound that happened intermittently, perhaps 1 out of 10 uses. It was loud enough to make us shut it off right away so not sure if it was heating when this happened. It was accompanied by a slightly strange smell. Many times it would go away if we restarted it. Now the noise has lessened but it doesn't heat.

We've called GE and they want $75 just to diagnose. This would be applied to repair if done.

Trying to decide if its worth repairing or just replace it.

Anyone have an educated guess what's wrong or how much the repair could be?

Thanks in advance! Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

it's probably the magnetron, and it would be cheaper to replace unless it's part of a built-in stove.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Not familiar with this specific model, but in general maybe just a diode, and if so it could be worth fixing. But if it's the magnetron or transformer it'll be an expensive repair. The capacitor rarely fails.

Bob

Reply to
rck
040413 2001 - rck posted:

If you decide to work on this yourself, be very careful of the capacitor. It has a very high voltage. In our area a retired Electrical Contractor was working on his microwave and came into contact with the capacitor wiring, took an electrical shock, had a heart attack and died. So, it would be wise to discharge this capacitor before you start to tinker with the other parts.

Reply to
indago

Thanks, don't think I'll tinker with it myself. Probably replace it.

Found some interesting info here while browsing.

oo Mike oo

Hi Mike, That model has a 5 year warranty on the magnitron. Part is covered, labor is not. 9 out of 10 that I have serviced had bad magnitrons. GE has been fixing them at a reduced labor rate due to too many having a premature failure. It probably won't cost much more than $75 to have it fixed. You can't buy a new one for that price.

Let us know how you make out.

Reply to
JoeA

Thanks for the input, that helped me narrow a google search that told more than I really wanted to know :)

Reply to
oo Mike oo

Recommend that unless you are an electronics tech DO NOT work on it yourself. A microwave oven is essentially a 500 to 1000 watt microwave radio transmitter in a box, with lethal voltages up to and exceeding several thousand volts. It also produces microwave radio energy which unshielded can be dangerous! As to cost I'm surprised. We frequently see microwave ovens here for less than $100 (Canadian) new, with a warranty, at major stores such as Wal Mart, Canadian Tire, Zellers etc. That including our sales tax, converted to US dollars is roughly $65 in US funds! Have also seen 'small ones' at the equivalent of around $45 in US funds. A new magnetron can cost $50 to $100 plus labour. A used magnetron, if suitable, can cost at least $30, plus labour! Like so many things, unfortunately that's not worth while, unless you are skilled in that field. My suggestion. And be careful with any microwave device. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Hi Mike,

You've probably resolved this already, but just in case: call GE (800-626-2000) with your model number. There was a bulletin on a ton of these with magnetron problems, and they may repair it under warranty for a lot less than a new one.

I don't (won't) do GE warranty, but if there's a GE servicer in your area (getting scarce, for good reason, but we won't 'go there'), they also should be able to help determine if yours is involved in the bulletin.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Most microwave ovens have a 5 year warranty on the magnetron tube, labour not included usually.

Many GE OTR microwave models however have a defect in the microwave distribution system which causes the magnetron tube to overheat and cut out and/or damage the diode. There is a field modification kit to repair such a condition on GE models JVM1630, JVM1631, JVM1640, JVM1642, JVM1650, JVM1651, JVM1660 and JVM1661 which come with all parts necessary to correct the condition. You can see the kit at the following link:

Magnetron & Stirrer Kit

If the magnetron tube is still under warranty, it would usually be cheaper to have a factory authorized GE service depot perform the repair to get the part for free and just pay for labour unless you live in the boonies where extra charges may be involved.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input! When I had browsed at new ones in the store they listed a 1 year manuf. warranty on the info card, no mention that I noticed of 5 year magnetron wty. So you guys really helped out, I would have just assumed that nothing was covered under warranty, and GE did not offer that info when calling for service.

It was indeed the magnetron and it was covered under the 5 year warranty. Cost was $75 for labor to fix it.

Mike

Here's a couple of links you may find helpful if you have the same problem...

oo Mike oo

The tech would likely have mentioned it when he found what the problem was.

Glad to hear you got it fixed up. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:05:45 GMT "Dave Harnish" wrotc:

I've the same problem with a jvm1642. There was an intermittent buzzing, worked most of the time, then suddenly no heating, and no buzzing too. Power to magnetron is good, mag continuity tests ok. Was at the stage of checking the hv cap and diode when I read of he GE problem.

I tried calling GE and they didn't seem to know anything of this. Does anyone know of a bulletin # or something I can reference this and can anyone confirm that they are offering a reduced labor rate for these repairs, assuming it is the problem as described is the supposed bulletin?

Thanks. _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@comcastXX.netXX

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Reply to
Jeff Givens