Ge Spacemaker Microwave repair or replacement?

I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably

15+ years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC (probably a white or black model).

In any event, this morning old Betsy decided not to heat anything up. All the bells and whistles are there, fan runs, etc, lights action, keypad works, just no heat. So I suspect more than likely the magnetron or xformer.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a secondary fuse I could check on this model before I turf it? Obviously main one is good as everything else powers on.

The second question is that I remember installing this thing and having to adapt a hole in the wall to an outside vent etc to fit it. I am hoping that maybe a new model of the same make would have roughly the same vent location so I do not have to rebuild that part to put in a new one.

Or maybe it is standard for all microwaves? Does anyone know?

Any clues or input appreciated.

TIA, BSA

Reply to
BSAKing

I don't know the model. It could be a fuse. put it on rec.electronics.repair

Reply to
zek

sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
zek

Reply to
sas130

Open the cabinet. There is usually a tech folder with a schematic, troubleshooting guide, and map as to where the fuses are. On a lot of microwaves, there are multiple fuses.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This happened on my sons microwave same symptoms. It was the high voltage diode that was bad. New diode cured problem. If you are not hep on working on these things keep your hands out of it. Killer voltage still in high voltage capacitor. WW

I don't know the model. It could be a fuse. put it on rec.electronics.repair

Reply to
WW

Chuckle. I just saw a twin to my similar-age over-stove micro on the swap board at work, for $90. Briefly pondered if I should buy it for a spare.

But seriously- if you can't repair it yourself, and don't wanna spring for new, there are usually low-mile micros on CL and such, from kitchen remodels. If you haven't priced them since you installed yours, plan on crying.

Reply to
aemeijers

? "BSAKing" wrote

Most do have an internal fuse. If it is anything ore it is probably too costly to repair.

Is this an OTR model? If so, they are fairly easy to vent. Last time I change mine out it was exact fit, not even an adapter. You may be lucky on that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, It costs ~250.00 for new unit. One of my neighbor had theirs broken and asked me to take a look. When I take it down and opened it up they wanted to buy new one and chuck the broken old one. They did not like what they saw; all the grease build up, dirt, dust, gunk inside, Yuck!!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can go here and get started (It is the GE Microwave Section)

you change the parameters, it will change the models. You will find that if you click on any particular model, you can get to the insallation instructions, with dimensions, etc. You can also go here
down to Contact Us and send them an email with your problems. Personally, due the age, I would replace it. You can get the current model from them. It will require a new bracket, but install looks easy. I am about to do it. Broke the handle. Super-glue has fixed it, but the handwriting is on the wall. HTH Took a few days but they were very helpful

Reply to
starrin

Most only have one fuse but it's worth checking. They normally do not bury the fuses too deep. Take the fron covers off and look for fuses. You might also find a schematic/wiring diagrahm inside. Used to be the wall mounted ones were expensive enough to make fixing them worth while but they have gotten mroe reasonable lately. I agree it does sound like the high voltage magnitron side of things. The magnetron and transformer are often a bit pricy. The diode is not usually too bad. As others have pointed out you really need to be careful, it's dangerous. You can check a ot of the components out passively with an ohm meter but it's good to actually check the high voltage as well and few people have high voltage meters. Basically if you confirm that you have high voltage at the magnetron, the magnetron is not shorted, and it still is not heating, the magnetron is bad. There can be multiple component failures as well. One bad part can break another part. For example a shorted magnetron can burn out the diode.

Reply to
jamesgangnc