How can I repair the turntable floor in a microwave oven?

I have a Sanyo domestic microwave oven approximately 8 years old that still functions all right. The problem is that the floor of the oven on which the glass turntable rotates on its spindle is rusted through in one or two places. The turntable still rotates okay, but if the floor is left to rust through further, sooner or later the little carrier wheels that support the turntable will get trapped and the turntable will lock up or something.
How could I repair the base of the oven? I have thought of Kurust first, followed by a layer of epoxy resin soaked fibreglass from Halfords. Any other ideas? It seems daft to buy a new microwave if the actual heating feature works fine.
Similar oven here:
http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/175/household-appliances/microwave/sanyo-ems1067.jpg
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd say you were wrong about the daftness. 1. Would you cook in a rusty saucepan? 2. If the holes are of any size then the microwave cavity will no longer be intact which is not a good thing. 3. They're cheap, one like the picture you linked to will cost you all of £25 in Asda or somewhere similar. If you value your time at all then it's cost effective to replace. You'll spend half the replacement cost on 'stuff' and then time as well and still be left with a crappy old microwave anyway. If it makes you feel bad then make sure you recycle it nicely. Design life is ~5 years so even if you do fix it the microwave generator will probably pack up soon anyway!
Fash
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to Fash, Michigan wrote: Hmmm.. why fix i perfectly functional machine when you can add it to the rubbish tip and just frivolously buy another.. repeatedly.. year after year after year πŸ€”πŸ‘ŒπŸ½
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/08/2017 18:44, Michigan wrote:

Why you fix? You no fix.
--
Cheers,

John.
βœ–
This is deja vue all over again. Most Microwaves eventually go rusty some place or other and drop to bits. Brian
--
----- -
βœ–

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't so obviously enjoyed that the last time, boy.

Mine hasn’t in 45+ years now and there are very few days when it doesn’t get used.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Your problem is any repair is going to have to be 'invisible' to the microwaves, otherwise you will cook your repair along with your ready meals, not only that but if the microwaves get deflected and your door seal is not 100 percent you might also cook yourself!
Quite frankly, whilst I know that this is a DIY group, with new microwaves being circa 50 UKP in the supermarkets....
Add pictures here
βœ–
MM formulated the question :

Any small metal particals which become detached from the oven case will causing arcing and burning - which is why rust in an oven gets rapidly worse. Any repair you needs to be well bonded to the rest of the case liner, if it is at all conductive to microwaves and any holes in the lining can permit microwaves to escape and put you at risk. So generally the only sensible economic option is to buy a new oven and if you want longevity, get a stainless lined one.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:03:44 +0100 Mm wrote :

I had exactly the same thing happen on my LG. In the early days a bit of foil causes some arcing which took the paint off under the turntable and I failed to touch it up. Of course moisture collects there, so the bare spot is repeatedly dosed with boiling water so rusts all the quicker. It's a good reason to buy one with a SS interior, though they tend to be more expensive.

βœ–

Really not a smart idea. Rust holes are an immediate safety test failure as they tend to let the microwave radiation out. Time for a new oven. Next time keep an eye open and sort any rust long before it gets that bad.
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:00:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Yeah, I just thought it was gravy stains...
Anyway, you've all twisted my arm! I'm off to Comet in a few minutes.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh dear. I'd have maybe avoided Comet and all the other useless big stores. I get most things cheaper and with better service from local independent retailers.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

In the end I bought it from Sainsbury's. I tried the local independent: Daywoo: £37. Spalding independent: Sanyo: £59. Boston Comet: £39.99. Sainsbury's: Own brand: £23.97. All are manual. I don't need fancy pushbuttons on the front panel. The Sanyo was 800W, all the others 700W. It'll suit my minimal requirements for a few years, no doubt. Shame they're all boring white nowadays. I wouldn't touch a silver one with a bargepole; they look totally naff. Sainsbury's also had a stainless steel own brand one for another four quid, but that looked totally naff as well. Hinari do pale blue or pale yellow (cream) ones, but Hinari haven't much of a reputation, I think. And anyway, they were way more expensive.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–
MM wrote:

Don't you clean your microwave?

Spraypaint?
Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:45:22 +0100, Owain

Every now and then... More then than now...

Good idea! I've sprayed loads of things in the past, including a Ford Popular.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–

Theyre a tenth the price now, but will they last a tenth as long?
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:55:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Who knows? My 14" Sony Portable TV is still going strong after sixteen years. It broke a few days after the guarantee expired when it was two years old, and I thought, oh, right, planned obsolescence. But since the repair it's worked fine. The front panel covering the tuning gubbins fell off ages ago, but the TV works fine. It'll probably still be working when I buy my first digital TV in around 2016.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to MM, Alien wrote: I bought a Sainburys own brand stainless steel microwave, the clock never kept time within the first month. The base floor under the rotory plate had a hole in it within three months. I would love to show the photos, but that nasty company has more money than I have!
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/175/household-appliances/microwave/sanyo-ems1067.jpg
When our Panasonic microwave failed after about 5 years I took it off for repair and was quoted about £125 when a brand new one was 20 quid more.
Needless to say we went for a brand new one.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I know. And the council keeps telling us to recycle. How much better to design things to be repairable, as once was the norm. Imagine just buying ONE washing machine, ONE toaster and never having to buy another. I mean, what washing machine is dumped because the drum is worn out? Same with the outer casing. The modern way is designed only to suit fat capitalists. Think of the work there'd be for thouands of trained workers to repair appliances. Much more rewarding, mentally and physically, than a call centre. I imagine a world in which the local Replacement Officer calls unannounced to remove your appliances that are older than, say, six months. "Sorry, Mrs Jones, but you know the law. New one every quarter, otherwise it's a £5,000 fine and two years in the slammer." Well, this IS Britain, after all. A place where the state can get away with anything.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–